No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ysart scrambled weight?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
ysart scrambled weight?
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »
I've been studding this one for a couple of days now, it measures a big  4.5" high and just under4" across at the widest point, I've only found a partial cane as in the photo, the base is polished flat, also has placed indentations with a bubble inside, UV = pinky'ish green, could it be one of pauls?

click image

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: ysart scrambled weight?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »
Hi Ray

Interesting! I have a ssomewhat imilar large weight with flat polished base and carefully placed bubbles that came with a bunch of known Scottish weights, and have been wondering who made it - Ysart? Deacons? Caithness? ???

Once I know I can sell it!

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
hi Alan

i can remember you posting that weight, but i could not find the thread about it, have you found any cane piece's in your weight?
cheers Ray

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
by the way i was ment to say studying, not studding  ;D :spls2:
cheers Ray

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »
Hi Ray

Studding was far more intriguing...!

Anyway, a close inspection of my weight shows no moulded cane sections - a few tiny pieces of white rod with various coloured outer layers, but that is all.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »
Alan, I think yours is Aurora link

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »
Hi Frank

I see the similarity, but I don't think it is an Aurora. I've owned several of those, and they all had more, closer packed bubbles, in straight lines.  So has everyone I have seen, or seen a picture of.  This weight has just two sets of 3, out of alignment.

Alan

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
I agree with Alan. The Aurora design can be thought of as being somewhat like the "Sea Urchin", but replacing the neat vertical lines of tiny coloured chips with bubbles.

Richard More states that "Aurora Large" was 2.7 to over 3 inch but he gives no size for "Aurora Jumbo" (and has seen no examples). I have an "Aurora" which is 3.5 inch wide and 4 inch high, but I don't know if that's a large "Aurora Large" or "Aurora Jumbo".

Anyway, Ray's weight does not look like anything I know about from the Ysarts or assistants, and it does not look like any Strathearn I know of, either. Alan's is better quality in the setting of the bits and bubbles but I don't know where its from - although I have seen at least one other like that one. And the way the bubbles are set reminds me of the "Aladin's Cave" work by Perthshire Paperweights and John Deacons - but not quite the same.
KevinH

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »
Not to be confused, I presume, with the rather lovely Paul Ysart end-of-day weight currently on ebay (no 180302206207) complete with label?

[One of these days I'll get the hang of hyperlinks.]
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16:23 PM »

QUICK LINK

As you rightly say, a Strathearn 'Aurora' should not be confused with the much rarer Paul Ysart variety!

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand