Author Topic: Studio art glass vase help with signature. ID = Barry Cullen studio glass  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Barry the Glass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Barry Cullen studio glass
    • UK
Re: Studio art glass vase help with signature
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
                                                                                       Re Lipstick
Dear Mike
Its one of a series no more then 4 pieces in that colour, one was engraved by Madeleine Dingle for Don Knight sadly no longer with us. 
Its nice to see the old work turning up, I did wonder if any survived

Thank you.

Barry

Dear Mike Here is the M D vars
Barry

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
Thanks Barry, ever so much, for posting a pic. of the M D vase ! So it was the clear sections she engraved . It looks really beautiful !

I found a link to a photo of 'The Price of Oil' so I thought I would post it here for reference as it was mentioned above.

http://www.photostore.org.uk/usPOST.aspx?WORKID=7290

Barry was 'Acid Rain' , Peter Dreiser, also one of your vases, it's on page 93 of Techniques of Glass Engraving (2nd edn.) Dreiser & Matcham ?

Sue , I couldn't agree more , it's gorgeous ! 

Cheers, Mike.

Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
That photo doesn't do "The Price of Oil" much justice... it looks far better "straight on" than from an angle above, but you're right, Mike  :) we should have an image of it here.

I do find myself wondering if the photographer wanted to disguise the highly significant message of this work - that the fish are all suffocating and dying...
Cheers, Sue (M)

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
-- Confucius

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
'Acid Rain' is even worse, Sue  :(
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
Can't find it! But I did find "Drowning of the Innocents".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8515300@N02/4188434838/
Cheers, Sue (M)

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
-- Confucius

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 06:49:38 PM »
Beautiful and thought provoking pieces!
Nancy

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:55 PM »
That photo doesn't do "The Price of Oil" much justice...

Definitely not. It's an outstanding piece. I should have bought it when I had the chance in the eighties!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »
Aaah, the ones that got away, Adam!  :'(
However, pieces of  such importance as these belong in museums, not private collections.
Cheers, Sue (M)

-- Confucius

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »
Sadly I've been unable to locate a pic. of 'Acid Rain' on the internet . There's a stunning photo of it in Dreiser's book (mentioned above) . It's another national treasure !
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
I'd be really interested to find out a bit about how the engraver collaberates with the glassmaker to produce such amazing final works.

The glass itself is so important - it must merge with, suggest and illustrate the design before it is finally put on.
I know that Allister Malcolm makes "blanks" for Jonathan Harris, and that Jane Charles makes "blanks" for Julia Linstead.

I find myself looking more and more at the work in the blank, behind the surface work these days.
Cheers, Sue (M)

-- Confucius

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com