No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio art glass vase help with signature. ID = Barry Cullen studio glass  (Read 12110 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Studio art glass vase help with signature
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 07:52:35 PM »
It's a very interesting example of a symbiotic relationship between two artists and I can't think of any other area of the fine arts where this happens  ;)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
Yes, I do agree - but how often does the glassmaker get the credit they deserve for it?

It's always the engraver - the cold glass artist. The one who draws lines on it.

Not the one who battles to work with and control huge weights of 1000 degree celcius molten syrup!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »
Absolutely !

The last thing (I would imagine) a glass artist would be thinking about , whilst grappling with molten glass syrup , is a symbiotic relationship with a glass engraver .   :)

In Peter Dreiser's book it would have been really informative to know who created the form and colour of his work.

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »
I love the engraved piece - thanks for sharing :)

I agree with the recent comments - I like to know who made the blank and who decorated the glass.

For more recent contemporary glass, the blower and and the decorator are now usually credited.

I have to say though, I am finding the more interesting antique pieces I'm researching are the ones where I have two lines of enquiry :) i.e. the decorator and the maker of the blank. 
m

Offline Barry the Glass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Barry Cullen studio glass
    • UK
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
Thanks Barry, ever so much, for posting a pic. of the M D vase ! So it was the clear sections she engraved . It looks really beautiful !

I found a link to a photo of 'The Price of Oil' so I thought I would post it here for reference as it was mentioned above.

http://www.photostore.org.uk/usPOST.aspx?WORKID=7290

Barry was 'Acid Rain' , Peter Dreiser, also one of your vases, it's on page 93 of Techniques of Glass Engraving (2nd edn.) Dreiser & Matcham ?

Sue , I couldn't agree more , it's gorgeous ! 

Cheers, Mike.

Just found this hop it pleases every body .
and for the record I started in glass in 1969 have a look at icicles.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barith/
and why are you dealers selling my glass so cheaply.
there was a to tone green bowl that went for nothing on eBay a really good piece

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
Barry thanks so much for posting the link to your glass!  Fabulous to see all the pieces.
I've linked to the Price of Oil from your link on your photos, as it is a bigger size pic so folks can see the shape and colours and the engraving more clearly.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barith/9718018788/lightbox/
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
And if you're already in that link, you can just use the arrows to see everything else nice and big too! :)

Barry, ebay isn't what it was, it's gone seriously greedy with excessive charges, and folk are not buying with the recession.
I don't even look, these days.  :'(

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 12:09:28 AM »
"and why are you dealers selling my glass so cheaply"
EDITED TO DELETE WRONG LINK!!
there was a to tone green bowl that went for nothing on eBay a really good piece "

'you dealers'??!! How very dare you! My guess is that there are very few 'dealers' on tnis board . . Humph

Nancy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:57 AM »
I think you put a wrong link in by accident Wolkenreb?

Barry, the board is a mixed board and from what I see it comprises people who are interested in and love glass.  Many are collectors, some are dealers, some collect and have to sell as well otherwise they'd not be able to continue collecting (me :)  ).  But all contribute to the board knowledge in various ways and to the good of glass reference/accurate history (at least in my opinion). 

Glass on ebay finds it's current price the same as any auction.  If two people want something badly it will sell well.  If only one person wants it and the start price isn't very high, then it will sell for the base start price.  That is the way of an auction I guess.

It also goes in and out of fashion and desirability very quickly from what I can see.  And in order for something to be desirable to many, many must know about it.  That's why marketing is so important :) 

m

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2014, 12:23:25 AM »
Thanks M, have deleted the erroneous link!
Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand