No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cenedese Ice Bucket? Biscuit Jar???  (Read 1700 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
Cenedese Ice Bucket? Biscuit Jar???
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:30:50 PM »
i've been racking my brain and exhausting the spines of all my books but can't find match for this piece. it's got the rectangular paper cenedese label (similar to the one found on my opalino pink clammy bowl with 3 labels) so i'm ~guessing~ that makes it mid-century? it's large, about 10" high (minus the handle), the black glass appears to be opaque (i can't get a glimmer of purple no matter how strong a light i hold it up to) and the metal findings look to have been gilded or plated (with some wear to the raised parts of the design). any ideas or clues on how i can find out more about it (like what artist might have made/designed it, specific decade, intended use, etc.) would be very much appreciated.
thankies,
bidda
 :ghug:

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Cenedese Ice Bucket? Biscuit Jar???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:16:04 AM »
My vote is for Ice Bucket, because of the type of handles. I don't think biscuit jars typically had handles.

As always, feel free to correct me.

Carolyn

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:37:56 AM »
Hey, Bidda. Good to see your name again. I checked Heireman's Murano Glass Themes and Variations. The label like yours was used from the mid-60s-early 70s. A similar label with rounded corners replaced it after that. Your stamp is a little different than the one shown in the book by having the sculpted edges. Otherwise it is the same as the one shown.

Fratelli Toso did some similar containers in the 1960s, so I bet it would be the right era for the work.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »
Carolyn, thanks. that one makes the most sense to me too... though it seems a bit shmancy for such a use ;)

Anita,  :fwr: always good to see you too. i've been afk for a while (mostly). hubby had a heart attack july 4, our apt bldg when sec 8 three weeks later (which we don't qualify for so we were evicted) and i had to pack, move, unpack and organize our entire household all by my lonesome in 30 days (on dr.'s orders my dh couldn't lift anything more than 10lbs and was supposed to avoid stairs - we lived on the 3rd flr w/no elevator).  i'm still far from done but no fires are burning at the moment :)

thanks for looking in your book. i've got to get that one. narrowing the time to a decade or two is so helpful (as you know)... if you happen to see any others like it floating around for sale (or valued in a book) i'd love to know. i'd like to sell it but want to price it fairly.

have a beautiful day,

bidda

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:43:54 PM »
Wow, Bidda. It has been a bad time for your family. I hope your hubby gets better and regains his old confidence. I know it is scary. To have to move at this time was terrible timing. Sometimes it would be nice to be poor.

I usually see smaller pieces like these called boxes, but I think 10" is beyond that size. They sell very well, even on eBay. I would definitely hold onto it until the market gets healthy again. The piece in black glass! is too nice to let go at a low price. The Murano pieces, particularly with a tag, usually go for about the same price as the modern French pieces. Looking at French prices may give you some idea. I think you would be safe to say c 1965-70. It would be nice if it were older. I checked Heiresman for a chance that your sculpted edge label may be earlier. His book only shows a black and silver foil label for the 50s-mid 60s. However, books often do not have all information.

I will definitely keep my eye open and let you know if I see a similar piece. The Heiresman's Themes and Variation book is one of the most helpful books I have bought. I recommend it highly.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »
Sometimes it would be nice to be poor.

you mean poorER ha ha. i think money is tight for just about everyone these days (all us regular -non millionaire/billionaire folks, anyway).

i really do like this box/covered jar/bucket/whatsit. it's much more ornate than what i normally go for but i kinda felt like i had to have it. i wish it were older too but i still think it's pretty special and i'll enjoy it as a part of my own display until it fetches a price worthy of it's grandeur.

bidda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand