No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any Thoughts on this large paperweight?  (Read 4023 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Any Thoughts on this large paperweight?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 03:54:26 AM »
Oops - I spelt the author's name incorrectly. It's Brackel, not Breckel :spls:

Peter Von Brackel's book was published in 1999 by Schiffer Publishing Ltd., ISBN 0-7643-1052-6

I agree that there seem to be no copies currently available via regular internet sources - but it can be purchased directly from Schiffer Publishing - search on the Author name or ISBN and it should show as being available. Price is original 1999 one: $69.95 (if you are in the USA, otherwise they will send an email confirming actual cost)
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 09:29:41 AM »
Hi

Books - if you go to this link and then the Paperweights section you will find 25 books on paperweights presently in print and available, including Peter von Brackel's book.  Some of these are available second hand at attractive prices.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:25 PM »
Von Brackel's book is available on Amazon.com for $53

Another good starter book is Paperweights by Sibylle Jargstorf, it covers mainly European makers,
with good examples of Bohemian millefiori weights, the usual French makers, British makers, Murano etc.

If you're interested in US antique weights then Hawley's book on Sandwhich and New England Glass Company is
well worth looking into.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 04:35:14 PM »
Hi Alexander

My link actually takes you to Amazon - it is just that most of the searching has already been done, and the various paperweight books brought together in one location to make life easier.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Zatzafrazz

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 01:52:46 AM »
 :thup:
Got it! for only $15!!! After that man refused to sell it to me for a discount 3 times, his wife and I looked at it under a magnifying glass, and sure enough it is a fracture and you can see that clearly in one spot. She agreed to sell it to me at their cost which was even less then 50%!! I don't think they were trying to rip anyone off. They just didn't know it was a fracture either.

Thanks for all of the advice on books!! There sure is a lot of them, isn't there? I think that the idea to rate books is a good one. Bookstores will order out of print books for you if you don't mind paying retail for them.

There also some good sites on the internet if you look under "glass paperweight" history. There's also good education right here too. I'm sure to be back!! Maybe in about 50 years I'll know enough to actually give advice  ;D
The more I learn, the more confused I become.

Offline Zatzafrazz

• Members
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 02:18:10 AM »
Sorry, in all my excitement, I forgot to thank you guys for all of your help!!! Thank you all so much for your totally honest opinions. You're all great!!
The more I learn, the more confused I become.

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 04:47:27 AM »
Excellent!

Some years ago I bought a Bohemian 'three flowers in a pot' weight. It has a huge bullseye chip on one side but I still thought it was neat. I think I paid 15 for it too. It sits in one of my cabinets with Murano, American and Scottish paperweights that I obtained subsequently.

I still think it's a neat piece, bullseye and all.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand