No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed paperweight i/d help please.  (Read 2098 times)

Offline ampersand

• Members
Signed paperweight i/d help please.
« on: November 02, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
I have had difficulty making this post and thank moderator Anne for her help -correctly sized pics will arrive via her kind assistance.
a)a clear ovoid 'pebble', signed in cursive script Ella v. W May - 85(Eva/Ewa?Ebba are less likely but possible)
The flat base is where apx.20% has been sliced away. There are 3 zones within - inner clear 'speech bubble'; next, a jellyfish aspect of fine tiny bubbles,then clear again, with 2 frayed rectangles of charcoal/slate fabric, anchored by pips of solid colour. 435gm
b)Mdina sgd base,dome with deep autumnal tones in a 'Saturn'-like swirl up 2/3rds of the slightly off-clear grey/green glass. 690gms
c)Amethyst cased over clear half-circle with 6 slightly concave cutaways(1 top and 5 round the side)revealing repeats of a stylised sycamore leaf, cut into the slightly concave base.425gms
Please excuse my non-technical terminology.
I will now try and send the pics to Anne.
Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Signed paperweight i/d help please.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »
More of Barbara's pictures for the above topic...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »
can't help with the signed one, but the purple one is by webb corbet and the bullet shaped is mdina as you know,
cheers Ray

Offline ampersand

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:14:25 AM »
Thankyou very much, Ray.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:51:39 PM »
Hi

I'm not convinced that all the simple facetted flash overlay weights with etched designs are Webb Corbett.  I know that some are, but quality can vary significantly, and sometimes the design is not etched in the base - it is just a painted transfer. I have seen one with a Murano label (but label can drop off and get stuck on the wrong paperweight).  In some the overlay is crisp, in others it is very diffuse and 'bleeds' into the clear glass.  I do wonder whether some come from China, maybe via Murano?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline ampersand

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:20:56 PM »
Hello tropdevin and thankyou -
I have now checked through some Webb Corbett sites and would say the amethyst one is correct. It is is deeply and finely engraved, in line with others using 'nature' motifs within the range. The overlay colour is regular and shows a 4mm depth wherever cut away, although this is an angled slope of course.
The clear one is such a fabulous, if odd, thing - I love it, so who is Eva v.W?

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 01:18:15 PM »
Hi

I'm not convinced that all the simple facetted flash overlay weights with etched designs are Webb Corbett.  I know that some are, but quality can vary significantly, and sometimes the design is not etched in the base - it is just a painted transfer. I have seen one with a Murano label (but label can drop off and get stuck on the wrong paperweight).  In some the overlay is crisp, in others it is very diffuse and 'bleeds' into the clear glass.  I do wonder whether some come from China, maybe via Murano?

Alan

The exact same design of screen printed flower as used on some of these faceted type weights was also used by Dema on some of their glasses, see http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,71964.20.html
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 07:03:25 PM »
The Mdina one is egg shaped and the design is called Tortoiseshell.

The mesh inclusions in the first weight are reminiscent of the metal mesh inclusions used by Benny Motzfeldt at both Raandsfjordglas and Plus. I would probably start looking at Norway.

We've got 3 different weights in one thread... :-\
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand