No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green bowl, help needed on ID  (Read 2563 times)

Offline gemmacler

• Members
Green bowl, help needed on ID
« on: November 06, 2008, 04:13:04 PM »
Hi,
Could anybody help ID this bowl ? It's pretty old, lots of wear on footrim, clear over green and white swirled, some bubbles and clear glass streaks. About 4.5 inches wide and high. Pontil is not polished flat. No signature or markings. In England.
Happy looking,
Gem

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline scimiman

• Members
Re: Green bowl, help needed on ID
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 04:50:03 PM »
Could we have a pic of the rim as it looks very much as though its been cut down from a larger piece.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline gemmacler

• Members
Re: Green bowl, help needed on ID/ more pics
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:56:33 PM »
Thanks for reply. Yes, I thought that originally, but I have 3 of these bowls, and they are all slightly different at the top, so I can't imagine all have been cut down. Pics of 2 different rims here. The green colour is much greener than it appears.
Cheers
Gem

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:28:22 PM »
Looks very similar to the colours used by T. Torgerson on some vases he did for Randsfjord Glass in the 80's. I haven't seen them in that shape, though. Are they cased in clear glass with a heavier bottom, which would be clue?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline gemmacler

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »
Hi
Checked out your suggestion, but the glass I saw very different from this. Not heavy at base. Not scandinavian at all I guess. Went on checking and I think it might be Nazeing glass, or Gray-stan glass, M & D Moir have a site on page called Monart and other British glass are 2 examples one in orange one in green, the pattern and colour of both identical, tho shape different. and signed which this bowl of course isn't. Also found a green footed Gray-stan vase in an old Millers collectables book 1997-98, p 231, described as green swirls over white cased in clear glass, signed, what I did notice on all these pictures was the whitish rim at the top inside, also I noticed that all the Gray-stan pieces looked slightly out of true, very hand made sort of. I am trying to see some more Nazeing pieces similar - they have own site and museum but not online alas ! - but not not having much luck.
All the best
Gem

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »
Hello Gem,

My first thought on seeing your first two pics was "that looks like it could be Gray-stan". If you go to my site (see below) and click on 'Glass to buy', then, 'English', then 'Gray-stan', you will see a couple more images of the cloudy ranges, as well as a description of how the cloudy pieces were made.

The pontils to your pieces will be markedly similar to those of pre-war Nazeing; that is, they will be ground and polished, but not necessarily a good round shape - sometimes almost kidney shaped. There may even be the remains of a break mark from snaping off the ponty rod.

As for the ground rims, the bowls look as though they could be from a dressing table set and therefore I would expect there to be lids. Since these have, to my knowledge, never been recorded we don't know whether they should be matching glass, or metal. If metal, they could be chrome, or even (possibly) silver - but this is suposition on my behalf. Lids might also explain the ground rims, as art glass rims might not be level enough to take a lid. This certainly happens with the Powell 'cloudy' range powder boxes.

What makes me think Gray-stan is the apparent swirling of the colours, which is a known Gray-stan characteristic, but not one for Nazeing - also the white enamelling should be quite/more apparent to the inside of the vessel.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand