No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MURANO VASE Huge 18 pounder Pulled Feather with Gold Dust thruout  (Read 2224 times)

Offline armybrat2

• Members
hello, i am here to ask for help identifying the maker of this vase. it stands 19 1/4" and is approx. 8 1/2" by 7 1/2" wide, being wider side to side than front to back.
has a pulled feather design in white and blue glass encased in clear with gold dust or aventurine thruout. has a large polished pontil.  in excellent condition with just a few short light surface scratches and wear to the bottom. from the estate of a former california resident who brought the vase to texas sometime in the late fifties. it is unclear whether the vase is circa 1950's or earlier.
any help would be greatly appreciated. i would love to offer the vase for sale, but must know the maker and age before i do. i appologize for the images. couldn't get the size right.
thank you in advance, jack

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: MURANO VASE Huge 18 pounder Pulled Feather with Gold Dust thruout
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »
Try looking at Barovier and Toso's "Graffito" techniques. Very nice looking vase you have there!
Shannon

Offline armybrat2

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 02:10:25 AM »
Hi, Thanks for the tip. Using your information I found a bowl at: http://www.trocadero.com/mt1007/items/806258/item806258store.html#item
which I believe is of the same maker.
This is the description of that bowl: "DOCUMENTED___________Elegant mid-century Italian Murano Glass Console Bowl by Barovier & Toso. The design is part of an experimental Lattimo Glass Series which had been produced for a very short period of time only. It is documented in Marina Barovier's book "Art of The Barovier" and a reference photo is attached."
The design is very similar, would you look and let me know what you think?
By the way, I want to sell the vase. Any idea of the value? Or is that type question not allowed? I can't afford books, care for my bedfast mother and can't book shop anyway even if I could afford them.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Best regards, Jack

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
I would think lotsa money,i believe the technique is called Phoenician i cant remember the Italian spelling.JP

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:19:04 AM »
The vase is like the vase pictured on p. 202 in Art of Barovier by Marina Barovier, where it's called "Graffito Barbarico Opaco." The "feathering" is called fenicio. However, the book says that it was created in 1969, so the dating is off. If it is a Barovier vase, it's worth a fair bit, which you wouldn't necessarily get on eBay, especially with fairly low quality pictures. It might be worth getting it appraised by a good dealer and looking for a good auction house. There are people around the board who can give you more specific information.

Good luck.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline armybrat2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »
hello and thank you so much for the information. i cannot afford an appraisal at present so will try to find the book you mention. i have sent images ( larger files and better quality) to bonhams only to hear "the glass doesn't seem to be of the quality of barovier" or some such. now i am certainly no expert and am not the smartest cookie but have handled lots of lower quality glass and this glass is very different.
when purchasing the vase, i also purchased several other items. i could have misunderstood or maybe the daughter was speaking in general of the time frame for all the items i was contemplating purchasing.
thanks again, i really appreciate the help. jack

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 10:37:30 AM »
Yes Fenicio was the Italian term i was looking for
 i have an Italian dealer friend who almost bites my hand off for that type of glass. Good luck . JP

Offline armybrat2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:35:56 PM »
hello, thanks for the input, i appreciate it. how about notifying your italian dealer of the vase and see what he/she thinks?
i really want to sell but not until i can be sure of the maker.
thanks again, jack

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand