No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass decanter maker's marks  (Read 7929 times)

Offline junkmailforblankets

• Members
Re: Glass decanter maker's marks
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 10:01:48 PM »
Are these fairly common? I got it at a thrift store for a few dollars and was wondering whether it would be worth my time to try to sell it. It's really pretty, and I like having it in the house, but if it's worth any money, that would be good to know.

Thanks so much everyone for your help; this is so much fun doing detective work; I'm afraid I'm enjoying it too much, and the last thing I need is another hobby.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 09:41:31 PM »
European silver marks are quite fascinating.  You can tell so much about where and when and by whom silver was made, and it's all in "code," like deciphering a note from a spy or something.  If only glass were similarly coded!

Are the top and the bottom silver parts in the same pattern?  I wondered whether they were perhaps applied at different times, and that's why there's a discrepancy in the town that Kev found.  One set of marks is very nice and neat compared to the other, too.  Not my area, it's just an idea.

The engraving is quite lovely.  Thank you Jeremy for posting photos of it!  Normally engraving isn't usually covered by silver if the engraver was aware it would go there, which supports the idea that the glass was made at a different time than the silver was applied.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline junkmailforblankets

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:19:27 PM »
Kristi, the silver parts seem to share a pattern. As for the set of marks, the photos I posted are all from the underside of the bottom piece of silver. The top piece of silver shares the same set of importer's marks, but not the maker's marks.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:14:10 AM »
Oh, I see.  I must have missed that, obviously.  Thanks for clarifying.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 07:37:09 AM »
As the silver is German, it seems likely that the decanter may be German or Bohemian, given the engraving. It also looks as though the decanter is quite badly watermarked inside, or is that just an artefact of the photo. If it is, that will lower its value.

Google brings this site http://www.karaffensammler.at/gallery/main.php up as having some silver by the same firm but I can't find it when I look through the site

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand