No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Deep Golden Amber Decanter  (Read 7278 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Deep Golden Amber Decanter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 08:48:01 PM »
The prices reflect major auction houses rather than internet prices, don't they?  Perhaps the internet is having a downward effect on prices of all collectibles, not just glass.

We also shouldn't forget that many of the books pre-date the upsurge in internet use as well. ;)

Also, books are fine as reference but like any source it's subject to correction as new info comes to light. As we say in the genealogy world (where I spend some of my other time) primary sources are everything!  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 08:28:03 PM »
I'm sure i just saw rbm6167's decanter in one of Millers books. It had the same shape only it was cut glass made by Webb.

I had to put my book down for a second while I was busy doing something else and when I came back I must have placed it next to the other 27 volumes. I even forgot what colour it was.  :oops:

I went through all the books twice but failed to find it again.  :roll:

I suppose there are many decanters that look like each other anyway.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 09:06:54 PM »
The prices reflect major auction houses rather than internet prices, don't they? Perhaps the internet is having a downward effect on prices of all collectibles, not just glass.

They are auction hammer prices, but I don't think eBay is having a downward effect on prices as such, but it might be accelerating the trends and fashions in glass collecting. Well, the lower priced items anyway :wink:

But due to rapidly fluctuating trends, the prices in Miller's would only be effective from the day the book was compiled. As Tigerchips mentions; they're excellent guides, but the prices should be treated with caution.

:idea: However, what I can't understand is why Miller's or Dorling Kindersley haven't published a price guide on the web that is updated to suit these trends? Simple enough to register ownership of the book and the ability to download new guides, say every quarter, for example...

Also another way to make money, of course, by charging for each download... but would people then buy the next print edition — ah, there's the rub...
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 03:46:27 PM »
How strange !
The same decanter has been uploaded by Ronnie Montgomery  :shock: at "Is it Whitefriars". :evil:  
According to their expert Lyn Webster  8)  it's Webb as has been suggested here, :)  because of the treacly amber color.  :shock:

Thats also funny because I said Whitefriars because I thought how much like their Golden Amber color it looked and how similarly deco in style to Patrick Hogan's pieces linked in the recent repairs thread. http://www.whitefriars.com/my_photo.php?Owner=Patrick+Hogan&Id=1435

As I say this I have sitting on the table in the sunlight a Whitefriars golden amber bud vase pat #9556 and a beaked vase #9566. In both cases where the light stikes the thicker parts of the glass it looks a very deep rich tone and also quite reddish.

Just shows how color is open to interpretation and how difficult it is attributing on color and style alone.
Are there any books on Webbs ?
Pete

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »
Are there any books on Webbs ?

Thomas Webb? Not that I'm aware of Peter, but do let me know if you find one! 3 pages in 20th Century Factory Glass and odd mentions elsewhere.

If you look at Great Glass there is a mention on this page...

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/glass.htm

Not allowed to quote verbatim due to copyright, but basically there was going to be a reproduction of a 1938 catalogue on CD (presumed to include the complete range), but I drew a blank after contacting Philip Petrides (Mr. Great Glass).

So apart from one other web site (below) where Webb's glass is mentioned in detail I can't find much at all.

http://www.jdl.co.nz/thoswebb.html
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 04:24:20 PM »
Thanks David

Thomas Webb?

From the article you link to, which I seem to remember reading previously, can I assume that sometime after 1835 the companies were effectively merged into one ?

If so then it's only for glass prior to that date which needs to be specified as to which Webb ?

I hope so then I don't have to worry about it. Extremely unlikely I shall ever own any glass that old !
Pete

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 04:56:32 PM »
From the article you link to, which I seem to remember reading previously, can I assume that sometime after 1835 the companies were effectively merged into one ?

Not that I'm aware. I think there are three totally seperate entities named 'Webb' operating in the last century, according to Ivo's book; Thomas Webb, Webb Corbett and Webbs' Crystal.

There were some mergers and take-overs, but mainly lesser-known companies. Most art glass (at least, the stuff I'm interested in) is Thomas Webb.

The web page is also referred to in Frank's 'GLASS MARKS & LABELS' "sticky" topic:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,831.0.html
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline rbm6167

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 09:12:02 PM »
There is no sign of any mark at all, not even a faint or partial mark. I have been caught out before with an extremely faint mark on a sunshine amber bullet vase by Webb so I paid particular attention.

The decanter uploaded on Whitefriars is the same one as this as advised by the first respondent - I used my friend Ronnie's Whitefriars username as I am not registered - just to add to the confusion!

Regards
John

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 10:05:15 AM »
Hi John,

This doesn't rule out it being Webb, but does cast some doubt. The colour is very similar to that used in the 1930-60s for the vast majority of their 'Bullseye' range and Webb always ground and polished the pontil mark.

Looks like you also collect Webb glass? :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline rbm6167

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 03:32:21 PM »
My main collection comprises Scottish Glass - Monart/Vasart/Starthearn, but I also have a small amount of Ronald Stennett-Willson glass as I much admire his work. Having said that, I cannot resist beautiful pieces whatever their origin. I scour local Car Boot sales and generally find some lovely examples of Scandinavian, Maltese and other makes of glass. Some I keep and some I sell on to fund my main collection. The Sunshine Amber bullet vase was part of a job lot at a local auction which I bought because there was a piece of Scottish and a piece of Whitefriars which I wanted. Total cost £28 and, of course I kept the Sunshine amber having fallen in love with it. This is how it goes.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand