No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sklo Union Art Before Industry by Marcus Newhall  (Read 9298 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Sklo Union Art Before Industry by Marcus Newhall
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:24:31 AM »
Sklo Union Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass by Marcus Newhall

Published: November 2008

Specifications
ISBN: 978 0 9560623 0 7
Pages: 178
Size: 283 x 218 mm
Binding: Hardback with full colour printed, laminated cover
Database: CD-R in plastic slip wallet

Price: £35 (plus postage) - available now from the author's website: http://www.sklounion.com

The product of more than ten years of research, during which time he made several visits to the Czech Republic, the book focuses on the everyday glass made in Czechoslovakia after the nationalisation of the glass industry in 1945.

Sklo Union Art Before Industry will appeal to those who are interested in the design history of the Communist era. It will also become the essential reference guide and handbook for anyone collecting, or dealing in, Czechoslovakian pressed glass. The names of the designers and glassworks may be not be recognised outside of the Czech Republic, however the glass they produced will be familiar to many around the world. Pečený vases, Jurnikl ashtrays, Schrötter tableware and
Vízner jardinières are just some of the many examples to be found in homes everywhere and which are also to be found in the pages of Sklo Union Art Before Industry .

The book contains specially commissioned photographs by one of Britain's foremost glass photographers, Simon Bruntnell. Simon's photographs will be a joy to glass enthusiasts. His approach to photographing glass makes it come alive in a unique manner.

With a foreword by Professor Sylva Petrová, the Director of the International Institute for Research in Glass, this full-colour hardback book is the definitive study of Czech pressed glass, and includes a data disk containing copies of some 16 catalogues and a searchable database of over 4,500 patterns and designs of items from the factories working under the Sklo Union umbrella.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Sklo Union Art Before Industry by Marcus Newhall
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

I received my copy today - it looks fantastic and well worth the wait - congratulations Marcus on an incredible piece of work and also to Simon for the breathtaking photos  :clap:

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »
Fantastic book Marcus :hiclp: with sumptuous images :hiclp:  Topped my Christmas list I'm pleased to say.
And the accompanying CD-R Database is a wonderful resource!
Much respect :hiclp:
Anne E.B

Sklounion

Re: ERRORS IN PRINT - ERRATA IN PRINT
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »
Sklo Union Art Before Industry, by Marcus Newhall 2008

Page 23, blue box-out, Hertha Stoelzle was not the widow, but daughter of Ludwig.

M Newhall

Mod: see also http://www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo/3-CHYBOVNICEK-ERRORS/93-Newhall-Sklo-Union-Errata

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
I finally received my copy today...  I'm thrilled to bits!  It's a beautiful book...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand