No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: We Came In Peace ....  (Read 7512 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
We Came In Peace ....
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 05:06:20 PM »
Quote from: "David555"

Only time will tell (when photos are published in books) if this will become the most collectable Caithness - along with the second edition Riki and Colin mention (see link to his email).

Adam, did I not read elsewhere on the board of the untimely death recently of Colin Terris?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
We Came In Peace ....
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 05:53:57 PM »
I did not know, no wonder he did not get back to me  :oops:

My mistake, it's just his site was still up and running last time I looked - that was his own little site http://www.glass.co.nz/terris.htm - I have just had a look on main Caithness page and it is the first news item (no date or obituary?)

Sweetbriar are about the only site giving it a mention, everyone else is selling on his name like mad, when it sinks in no doubt there will be a rush to capitalise - ahh life

At least I can say I spoke to the great man by telephone and email on a few occasions and he was an utter gentleman with great humility.

My respects to one of the greatest glass artists who ushered in a whole new era of abstract glass design.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thomas_clifford

• Members
We Came in Peace for all Mankind
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 08:57:53 PM »
I was only 'chatting' with Colin in January about this very same paperweight, such a warm, talented and helpful man, I'm actually quite upset still  :(

This is what he sent me about this weight .... very simillar to what Riki has said ...

Hello Karen,
I know the piece well.When I designed the nose cone in 1969 we sold it as
Engraving! We didn't have a paperweight dept. then,  that,s why it is not in
any of the pwt books.We had part engraved the design before the actual
landing in the hope all was going to go well and when it did, we added the
We came in Peace inscription..We worked in 12 hour shifts to complete the
order for Harrods, and the sold the piece out within 2 weeks. Over the years
I have heard values from £150 - £350, some even higher. If I can track down
a recent valuation I will get in touch.
Cheers,
Colin

I found mine in the USA and got it for a relatively low price complete with the paperwork, I don't think it was realised there what an important piece it was. I was very lucky.

Offline David555

• Members
We Came In Peace ....
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 09:37:44 PM »
Well said

As a tribute I post the pictures I took - with flash to bring out the engraved detail (causes dark patch at top of dome) - note the spaceman and the craters are etched (carved?) either side to create a little optical illusion

Detail of moon, etc.

Thanks

Adam P

Mod: Links to images  dead
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Riki

• Members
We Came In Peace ....
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 09:02:04 PM »
Hi Again Everybody,

I just had to add to my previous posting as I now have two of these  stunning weights.  :D  :D

The first is numbered under 100 and the colour of the glass under the dome is a sort of smoke grey with a slight greenish tint.

The second is numbered up in the 700s and the glass under the dome is now made in a deep blue colour.

I will hopefully post pictures tomorrow.

Frank. Hi, I have a Caithness scarf ring and perhaps other bits and bobs not yet on your site, do you want photos  ?

Riki

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
We Came In Peace ....
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 10:14:04 PM »
Yes please, extra shots of this weight would be good too. Thanks.

Interesting that even with the catalogue shots is the variations between items in the same edition. Some quite major variations show up as I add second photos to many of the designs - as it grows it might even show a development of weights and glassware that were in production for a long period.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
ebay not arbiter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 06:28:38 AM »
Lesson well-learned about eBay. It will always flatten values. For serious collectors of rare and quality items, eBay must not be seen as the essential arbiter of resale and/or collectible value.

Offline Riki

• Members
We Came In Peace ....
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 03:52:13 PM »
These weights are REALLY hard to photograph well, as you can see I've failed miserably but the colour difference shows quite clearly,  these are the best from about 20 photos.

http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3508

http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3506

http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3507

There is one on Ebay just now from an American auction house which has the original box & Harrods leaflet.

Item number: 270034751177   

If anyone on the board bids for and wins this would they please post scans or photos of the leaflet, thanks.

So much nice glass, so little spending cash. :cry:
Riki

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: ebay not arbiter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 04:24:14 PM »
Quote from: "wrightoutlook"
Lesson well-learned about eBay. It will always flatten values. For serious collectors of rare and quality items, eBay must not be seen as the essential arbiter of resale and/or collectible value.

You are being very purist here. Ultimately, the market will set the resale/collectable value, and this will vary according to the market that you sell/buy in.  Ebay has the enormous value of being convenient for a lot of people, but has the enormous drawback of netting so many pieces from around the world that values may be lower if the rarity value is less.  However for the seller this may be offset by the fact that an item will sell comparitively quickly.  For a very rare item, the value may in fact be higher, as the number of buyers competing for the item will be higher.

If a traditional land auction is chosen, then the price achieved will be lower for middle end items, as they are likely to be bought by a dealer who wishes to add his profit margin.  Rarities will sell highly provided the auction house catalogues and advertises the piece well.

Alternatively, a seller can sell in a traditional retail environment, as many buyers do not like to buy remotely, but prefer to handle the goods and chat to the seller in person.  The buyer has less choice as they have only the goods in their immediate vicinity, and so may choose to pay a premium price to get an item they want if it comes up close to home.  For the seller, his fixed costs will impinge on his profit margin, and he may have to hold on to the item for some time (perhaps years) until the right buyer comes along.  This obviously has also to be reflected in the price.

None of these differing price structures is wrong or right, they are each relative to their individual selling environment.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
We Came In Peace ....
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »
Riki's picture adjusted a bit. I had not been aware from the first images that the weight was hollow!

http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.view_images&product_id=136&image_id=290&Itemid=27

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand