No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please. Is it Willie or Paul?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: Help please. Is it Willie or Paul?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »
Hi all

OOPS !!

That last post had something missing - what I should have said was that I have checked a video taken at the Paul Ysart exhibition in 1992 at Broadfield House and the only lizards seen in a PY weight were of the same style as the those in the pictures posted by Daveweight. 8 minutes to go and £868 now !!

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »
Okay, now it's sold, those who know what it really is please speak up!
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:30:13 PM »
My view is that it's a Willie Manson weight and may well have been from his "William Manson Paperweights" period of the early 1980s. It's certainly not a Paul Ysart one and I don't think it was made by Willie at the Harland studio. It matches well to others illustrated in books and appears to be a "Magouillat Lizard", as Derek has said, but each of those weights would normally have been signed and dated.

That there is, apparently, no signature cane is interesting. Perhaps it is possible that the central grinding had removed the identifying cane ... but if so, the cane would have been very thin to be completely removed without causing a deep hollow!

I hope that if the weight is subsequently repaired and repolished it does not alter the look of it too much.
KevinH

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »
So was the end price higher than it should be?  Seems very high for a Willie Manson weight, but then what do I know!

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 11:36:37 PM »
So was the end price higher than it should be?
Dunno, Ian. What is the "should be" price of any item? Seriously, though, I have no idea of what the "usual" price of (an undamaged) Willie Manson Lizard weight is, or has been over the past few years.

But £890 can currently buy a single-3D-fish by Paul Ysart out of the Sweetbriar sales site.

Edited to add: And in Sweetbriar Gallery, there is also a Double Salamander (with a single flower) by Willie Manson for £380 ... and ... a Willie Manson, signed and dated Lizard with a Ladybug(bird) also for £380. But those are not Magouillat Lizards, so perhaps that makes all the difference.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand