No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Chippendale" bowl ? by McKee? by Davidson? or  (Read 7498 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
"Chippendale" bowl ? by McKee? by Davidson? or
« on: September 05, 2005, 02:02:16 PM »
I'm ashamed to say that I have either ignored or ill-treated this bowl.  It has either been stuck in a cupboard for years collecting dust, been filled with seashells, floating candles, home-made punch (not at the same time :roll: ), and rarely used for what it was probably intended.  It belonged to my Nan, and was once used as a fruit bowl. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/gmb4002.jpg

I haven't given it a second thought until seeing Angela Bowey's article on postwar pressed glass http://www.glass.co.nz/postwarpressedglass.htm  where I spotted something similar - i.e. a "Chippendale" bowl by McKee (USA), and a chippendale bowl by Davidsons.  I have always thought of it as being lead glass because of its greyish tinge (& weight).  It has a scalloped (9) and bevelled border around the top,  10" diam. 6" high and weighs over 3kg. with no markings on the base.  Angela's article states that the moulds were imported into Britain before the war and were continued to be made by Davidsons, but the Davidsons' bowl shown, is a coloured one whereas the McKee bowl is clear glass like mine.  

Could mine be one of these, or were they also made by other companies?

Regards - Anne E.B. :P
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 02:27:10 PM »
Hi t'other Anne ;)

Davidson's first made clear Chippendale as well as the coloured stuff. (Green and amber colours were made later).  I collect Chippendale glass so yours is interesting for me. :) (The bulk of mine hasn't yet been photographed and added to my gallery... I really must do this soon!!!)

This taken from Chris Stewart's Cloudglass  website http://www.cloudglass.com/History.htm is this info about Chippendale:

In 1930, Davidson started making 'Chippendale' Glass for the National Glass Company. Chippendale was first produced in America in 1907. Realising that this was a popular and successful line, Davidson bought the moulds, trademarks and sole manufacturing rights to the Chippendale range of glassware in 1933. They paid £3,000 for the moulds alone. Over the next 30 years they added to the styles and colours (emerald green and amber) in the Chippendale range.

Does the base of yours have the star burst pattern? (It looks like it doesn't from the pic but I can't quite tell.) Most unfooted Chippendale seems to have this... quite a few other glass makers made Chippendale-style designs so yours could be one of them (even, apparently, the Scandinavian firm Gullaskruf made a design like Chippendale! http://www.gullaskruv.se/jubileum/glas/nyfacett-salladiar.jpg )  

US Glass made Chippendale before Davidson's bought the moulds (I have the 1937 US Glass catalogue facsimile and a photocopy of the Davidson 1937 catalogue as well so can check designs in those.)

Some Chippendale pieces are marked Chippendale, some with the Krys-Tol mark, some as Krys-Tol Chippendale, some with the US monogram, and much of it not marked at all!  :roll:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 03:34:49 PM »
Hi Anne EB

Your bowl does not "feel" like Davidsond to me despite the similarity to the Chippendale piece. I think yours is a bit thinner but also looks to have a superior finish and a bit more free flowing than Davidsons. But having told you what I think it is not I then have nothing else to contribute

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 04:30:19 PM »
Hi Anne.  Many thanks for the interesting links. My bowl has a plain base. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/base003.jpg  The lines that can be seen are actually on the interior base.  They are more like smooth grooves than scratches, so I presume these are manufacturing flaws (?).  What is the "Krys-Tol" mark?  There appears to be some sort of oval shape on the base, but this might just be another series of grooves. :?   I would love to see pictures of our collection when you get round to doing them. :shock:

Gareth - many thanks - your comments are always much appreciated.  Please keep them coming :wink:  The rim is 5mm wide, and the glass becomes much thicker as it curves outwards and downwards.

Regards - t'other Anne :lol:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand