No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Nouveau irridescent patterned bowl - id please?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Art Nouveau irridescent patterned bowl - id please?
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:35:19 AM »
I have this bowl which I am hopeful is art nouveau period, but I don't know who by.  Can anyone recognise the pattern please, or have a guess at the maker?

Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Art Nouveau irridescent patterned bowl - id please?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:31:50 PM »
It's a rose bowl and should probably have a metal grill. Most likely made in Bohemia any time up WW2. I suspect not one of the big boys such as Kralik and Loetz. I will look in my books when I get home, but that may be as close as we get

Are these with the new camera?  ;D ;D You should investigate the macro setting for close ups, if you get too close your camera won't focus.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »
Not to be a disagreeable type, but... technically this is not a rose bowl. Rose bowls are designs that have a folded or rolled in lip, so that they are more globular. From what I've read, rose bowls were designed to hold rose petals or potpourri. To be more agreeable... the vase in this post does look like it may be made for a frog. It is hard to say. I've seen vases like this with and without frogs. The glass looks familiar, but I can't place it.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »
Although I know what sort of bowls you mean Anita, these too are rose bowls in the UK for holding, you've guessed it roses  ;). This squat form with a short neck and metal grid is still sold here.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
It's a rose bowl and should probably have a metal grill. Most likely made in Bohemia any time up WW2. I suspect not one of the big boys such as Kralik and Loetz. I will look in my books when I get home, but that may be as close as we get

Are these with the new camera?  ;D ;D You should investigate the macro setting for close ups, if you get too close your camera won't focus.

These were still with my dad's camera :) 

I have a macro setting on my new camera and you will very soon be seeing some pictures appearing.  I am not totally thrilled with my photos on the new one yet, not sure if it is the cameras fault or mine >:(
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand