No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: BODA bottle - any additional info?  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: BODA bottle - any additional info?
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 09:21:29 AM »
Ours is 23cm high....I hadn't thought that ours was uranium glass, but some sort of heat-reactive glass that would explain the slight difference.

This is another 'Unik' version of the same idea on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sign-UNIK-Vase-BERTIL-VALLIEN-Boda-Afors-SWEDEN_W0QQitemZ260254406649 though he has his dates mixed up.

And a little production bottle of a similar form with stopper http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BODA-BOTTLE-DU-AR-BJUDEN-DESIGN-BERTIL-VALLIEN_W0QQitemZ350018683979

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »
Martyn, yours looks like uranium glass over amber at the top, don't think there's any heat reactive glass though

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »
Hi, you know much better than I do Christine...there's no casing involved the colour just changes through green to deep amber(ish) to green opal on the extremities of the shoulder and lip, heat-reactive is probably the wrong terminology...opalescent??

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
Hmm, you could be right. It does seem as if its heat treated. I thought from the photo that the "green opal" was a photographic effect you sometimes see with uranium glass. Does it have that bright green glow under UV?

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have a UV light, the photo was taken in daylight but it doesn't look particually different in artificial light...I'll get it out of it's box tomorrow and have another look as it's dark now.

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 02:24:35 AM »
Yes, the yellow/uranium colouring in the neck of the bottle is very diluted (see picture) and the same can be said (but it is not so obvious) of the bubbles on the shoulder of the bottle. My bottle is only 19cm high by the way. Thanks for all the info and interesting discussion.

Carlo

all text and pictures © twenty21

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 07:33:04 AM »
Carlo, have you checked yours under a UV light? I'm not entirely convinced the colorant is uranium

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 08:51:14 AM »
mmm no I have not....I just assumed it was since it is extremely intense in the thicker parts (like the base) but the clear section make me wonder. I have to think how to get access to a UV light and I will report back...

:hb1:
all text and pictures © twenty21

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 07:30:37 PM »
Christine,

I had another look in the sun today and it does appear a greener in the daylight and more amber in artificial light, but not very dramatically...I'll have to get that UV light for Christmas!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand