No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bjorkshult glass from Sweden  (Read 7449 times)

vidfletch

Bjorkshult glass from Sweden
« on: July 16, 2004, 11:00:07 PM »
Can anyone tell me more about the Swedish company BJORKSHULT?

I know they became part of the Royal Krona along with Aseda, Skruf, Gullaskruf and Maleras. This group went bust in 1977.

Other than this I know nothing more.

Thanks

Vidfletch

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Bjorkshult glass from Sweden
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 06:00:12 AM »
Sure. The information was hard to find; most books on swedish glass omit Björkshult altogether due to its limited scope of production ('blown, cut, handcrafted animals') but  :idea: Bill Geary's "Scandinavian Glass - Creative Energies" has the answer.
Björkshult never survived the breakup of Royal Krona group and was closed in 1978.
The company was started in 1892, went through a bad patch in the 30s. Designers there were Ragnar Johansson {1940s}, Hans-Christian Wagner {1957-76} Margareta Schlyter-Stiernstedt {1953-68} and Carl-Einar Borgström {1950s-end}

vidfletch

Just bought one!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 01:35:44 PM »
Thanks Ivo,

The information was very helpful. I have just bought a vase by them to add to my collection of Aseda, Maleras etc. It also means I can recognise more that are not labelled!

Cheers.

Vidfletch

Offline reklaim

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • mid century
    • USA
Re: Bjorkshult glass from Sweden
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
I know this is a really old post, but great and helpful info for my new purchase!! Here's pics if anyone's interested...

Thanks,
Dana

• Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
    • Members
      • World Art Glass
    Re: Bjorkshult glass from Sweden
    « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
    Hi:

A point of interest.

A group has re-opened this glass house as a small teaching studio which offers group
    and individual lessons.

A former Orrefors master cutter has or had a small shop with the current glass studio. I have not
    stopped there recently so do not know the current status.

The glass movement and industry in Sweden is in serious decline

Thanks Ivo for mentioning my book

Bill Geary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand