No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Imperial Glass - Shoji  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Imperial Glass - Shoji
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:41:14 AM »
I bought these 6 glasses eight months ago in an antique shop for about £12.  I though they were lovely quality, the gilt is carefully done, thick and glossy.

Well...I've kept them in the cupboard since then, and I've never used them (worried about chips or breaks!  :shock: )  so I was thinking about selling them.

I know you can get them on Replacements, but these are the original thing, and dated by the IG on the base (thanks to Glen's book!) to pre-1972.

Are they worth selling?  I could hold onto them and maybe use them sometime...hmm.....

They're all in A1 perfect condition, never been used.   :D

http://tinypic.com/dg2q6q.jpg

http://tinypic.com/dg2q8l.jpg

Thank you.   :D
I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Imperial Glass - Shoji
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:45:45 AM »
Hmm...should have looked at Ebay first, although the gold on mine seems much thicker....doh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Imperial-Shoji-8-Tumblers-No-Res_W0QQitemZ7348542567QQcategoryZ1025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I am not a man

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Imperial Glass - Shoji
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 11:31:16 AM »
Max, what a superb set of tumblers. Congratulations. They are "Golden Shoji" - Imperial's No. 104. The full range is shown in the Imperial Glass Collector's reprint of the 66A Catalog, dating from the 1960s. There were several sizes of tumblers, as well as a large "hospitality bowl" and two vases. Most magnificent of all was the Sake bottle and cap, plus tiny 2 oz sake tumblers.

The Imperial Collector's Encyclopedia Vol II says that the range was sold through the B. Altman department stores in the New York City area. In the gold-decorated range were a few other fabulous patterns with names like "Sekai Ichi" and Sortijas de Oro". A splendid "Golden Shoji" decanter is illustrated in the encyclopedia.

Should you sell them? Well, I can't even guess at a value (not my area of expertise or experience). The best I can say is that the small glass is shown at $12- 15 in Vol III of the encyclopedia.

If it were my decision I'd hang onto them. They are fabulous. So striking and lovely. Imperial was a great glass company and to have a perfect 1960s set like that is wonderful (especially to have found it in the UK!) They have the IG trademark on too - and are so deliciously typical of the era. Perhaps you could see if you could track down the decanter - or maybe even that Sake bottle. But that's just all my opinion, of course. Hopefully others will be able to advise you with more expertise re. whether to sell or not.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Imperial Glass - Shoji
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 03:44:38 PM »
Thanks for looking these up for me Glen, it's really kind of you.  I'm printing out your words and putting them into one tumbler so I don't forget!   xxx

Perhaps I will keep these tumblers.  They're just so glitzy and unashamedly 'in your face', I still rather admire them!  Funny little things!

Ok, I'm going to put them back in the cupboard.  I must get round to using them one day though!    :roll:

Thanks again Glen, you're a star!   :D
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand