No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Irridescent Glass inkwell  (Read 2345 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Irridescent Glass inkwell
« on: September 05, 2005, 01:35:01 PM »
New here and happy to find it.  I am trying to ID maker and type of glass of this irridescent inkwell.  The decoration is put on by a chemical proces.  It is not painted or etched.  Really has me stumped.  Thanks for any assistance.

Ken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 03:27:05 PM »
:D
Very nice! Looking at the base in the second picture, there seems to be an engraved maker's name and a date or number, just on the side of the piece, on the right hand side, near the base. Can you read it?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 04:34:42 PM »
:oops: I've had this inkwell for 30 years and NEVER noticed this mark.  Best I can tell it reads "Mark Petser 1969".  A little research attributes this inkwell to Mark Peiser dated 1969. He's s tudio glass artist from Asheville, NC.

I read one source that said he began working in glass in 1967 and was very experimental in his early days. In recent years he has been more sculptural. This is one of those "my Grandmother always had it" stories. I always remember it on her desk. In 1969 she was 60 years old. Just because Granny is old, doen't mean she didn't get new stuff. Still a wonderful piece.

Again, Thanks for the help.

Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand