No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Definitely not Holmegaard, but who....  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Definitely not Holmegaard, but who....
« on: September 07, 2005, 12:23:32 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7346701774&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:122

I waited 'till the auction ended before I asked this! Obviously this can't be Holmegaard, but who is "HG made in Sweden?"? I have this feeling I've seen the shape (or a similar one) identified as Aseda, but wouldn't put money on it.

Thanks in advance, very much!! :)  :)  :)

Cathy.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:46:41 PM »
Cathy, I think this may be a G.Hardy (GH, not HG) importers label from what is described. I believe they operated in England during the 1950-60s and if you look at the Murano 101: Labels topic, this label was dicussed at length there. In this instance the label was 'Made in Italy', of course :wink:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 01:01:50 PM »
Vase is by Aseda, the designer is not on record and it dates from the 1960s.
 :roll:

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 01:08:23 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
Vase is by Aseda, the designer is not on record and it dates from the 1960s.
 :roll:

Thanks Ivo. Thought it was Aseda - problem solved. Hope the buyer didn't think it was Holmegaard as "attributed".

David, can you get a good photo of your label with the GH logo? Might be interesting for posterity.

Cathy.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 01:29:22 PM »
ÅSEDA GLASBRUK from Sweden were in existence from 1947 to 1977. In 1975 due to problems they were bought by Royal Krona who also comprised Skruf, Gullaskruf, Maleras, and Bjorkshult. In 1977 Royal Krona went bust and all the companies were either sold or closed. The town of Åseda is in the South East of Sweden in an area known as "Glasriket" or "Kingdom of Glass" due to all the glassworks that have been there! ÅSEDA made many different pieces of glass but this vase, the bubbled "jack in the pulpit" type and the 5 lobe based bud vases are by the far the most common. A lot of the ÅSEDA labelled ones are found in mainland Europe and the USA. They are usually available in different colours & shapes from there too. The main designer for Åseda was Bo Borgström.

A fair number of these have the "Swedish Art Glass" label of "G Hardy Co." who were an importer of glass into Britain in the 50's & 60's. G Hardy sold from Elme, Gadderas, Alsterfors, Alsterbro and Gullaskruf as far as I know. How much I don´t know. They also bought glass from Italy which has the same label in red type but says "Venetian Art Glass". Hardys bought a lot of unsold vases from the end of production runs.

I also own a bubbled "jack in the pulpit" type Åseda vase which has the label of the American company "Ebeling and Reuss Ltd". They imported Swedish glass including Åseda.

I will have more on Åseda Glasbruk soon and will share the information on the forum.

Vidfletch

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 01:37:52 PM »
Hi Cathy,

If you follow this thread, then scroll down to CathyG's posting.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1749.0.html

This shows the G.Hardy sticker on a Cenedese vase. My vase appears on page 4 of this topic thread, but is only partial so of less interest.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 01:48:02 PM »
Thanks, Davids!

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 12:22:20 AM »
Is deff an Aseda vase - the label is the import label for G Hardy & Co (as said) - they imported from Sweden and Murano (label says Venetian Art Glass) - it is so common for an eBayer to try and sell a piece as Holmegaard with the Hardy label  :evil:  :x

Amazing thing is this is a nice jack-in-the-pulpit vase by Bo Borgstrom in a rarer colour - they are now being sold for £60.00+

Ahhh life

Adam D555 :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Definitely not Holmegaard, but who....
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 06:36:51 PM »
The "Hardy" label is now known to be Hans Geismar, not George Hardy.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand