No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jolliest paperweight in the world!  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Jolliest paperweight in the world!
« on: September 07, 2005, 05:21:55 PM »
My local Oxfam shop lady just dropped round some glass to be valued.  Most of it is junk, but there was this:

http://tinypic.com/dgigdd.jpg

http://tinypic.com/dgigja.jpg

http://tinypic.com/dgigpg.jpg

I really love it!  It's so happy, and dare I say in the olde sense of the world, gay!  It's about 3" across and has a lovely high dome.  There is a very small bruise about 4mm across to one side.

Could anyone give me a value please?  I think I'll sell it online as it should raise more for Oxfam.

Thank you.   :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 05:35:33 PM »
Looks like a very pretty Strathearn to me!  I love it, 'cos it's pink!  :lol:

The bruise may drop the price, though   :?   :(  Can you post a picture showing it?  It may not be that bad, but if you have to say it's bruised on ebay it could put some bidders off.  Not me, of course!    :wink:

As for price .... does depend on that bruise, I would think.  

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 05:45:44 PM »
Max, check out "strathearn" under both eBay and the dealer site Sweetbriar Gallery, where weights like this one are often available and you will also see the general price range.

[And regardless of individual views on the matter, including my own at times, Sweetbriar Gallery prices are really no higher than most other dealers.]

Leni is right about the bruise - it may affect the value quite considerably and to get it polished out could cost more than the weight is worth. But at 3 inch, it's a good example of this type.
KevinH

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 05:46:06 PM »
I thought it might be Strathearn...hmm....I hadn't considered that it's pink...but I still like it!  
I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 05:47:40 PM »
Thanks Kev, I'll do that straightaway.   :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 10:27:23 PM »
Hi

This is a Strathearn 'Close-Pack' paperweight - sources tell us that they were made between 1968 - 1980 - I would say yours is late 60s - 70s - they are of great interest to Strathearn paperweight collectors who always look for the unusual - the canes are good and there is no surface bubbling to the carpet surface - the ground is unusual being that mottled pink, I have had mottled blue but not that opaque mottled pink before in a close-pack - the 4mm scratch is almost standard for the age as long as its surface and there is no other damage - I put my last 2.5" close-pack on at £30 and got £45.00 (eBay) - this being unusual I would say may get up to £60.00

An Internet shop may value higher, but as it's unusual people will compete if you get it on eBay to finish at Sunday around 7.00pm

Just my opinion

I have a little collection of close-packs some are 1" others are 2.5" and 3" - they are so good looking in with the 'Spoke' and 'Concentric' paperweights

http://tinypic.com/dgnci1.jpg - small close-pack with label

Adam D555 :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 11:20:16 PM »
This is a Strathearn 'Close-Pack' paperweight - sources tell us that they were made between 1968 - 1980 - I would say yours is late 60s - 70s

Thanks Adam, I was wondering what to call it.  :D  If I didn't have to sell it, I'd be very happy keeping it.   It's like a jolly tapestry glass carpet.  <swoon>   :D  

I was initially thinking of selling this paperweight in the Oxfam shop, but since then I've been toying with Ebaying it, so I only need a start price - thanks for the guesstimates.   :D
I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 11:25:35 PM »
I can't stop looking at it!  HELP!  I'm turning into a paperweight collector!!! Eeeeek!
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 07:43:16 AM »
:lol: They get to you, don't they Max?  Get a magnifying glass or jewellers loupe and look at the complexity of the canes - you'll be hooked!   :shock:  :D

Leni :wink:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand