No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A mystery solved  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
A mystery solved
« on: September 08, 2005, 07:25:38 AM »
http://glassart.5u.com/pictures.html

Thanks to whoever it was who posted this link (was it Anne?) because it solves something I've been wondering for a while (although Ivo or David Fletcher could probably have answered if I'd asked).

http://www.hiandlomodern.com/glassScand.html Scroll to about 1/3 of the way down to "HOT RED-ORANGEORANGE GLASS SWEDISH CANDLESTICKS"

I have seen these labelled "Old Colony Made in Japan", and wondered why there was such a pervasive belief that they were Scandinavian. They are even identified as such in one of the Millers collectables guides.

But I wonder whether it's because they bear a vague resemblance to No. 34 on this page
http://glassart.5u.com/pictures.html

What do you guys think?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
A mystery solved
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:08:32 AM »
:D
Hello Cathy, I think the operative word is "vague", but I think you are right! Well spotted!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
A mystery solved
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 10:34:50 AM »
Web-speak "probably" =
English "I haven't got a clue but I'm going to throw a name on the table anyway to try and get the outrageous asking price"

The word "probably" should always sound warning bells and flash red lights. It wouldn't be sooo bad I suppose if the name was correct !! Seda !!!! = no such company !!

The correct name is of course Aseda and this mistake comes about because of the stylized initial A on Aseda labels. So they obviously have / had another piece with that label.

What interests me also is that the seller should think that a pair of Aseda candlesticks should warrant a price tag of $160 !!! AND that someone would part with that kind of cash for an item so poorly illustrated with uncertain parentage !!

Yes well spotted Cathy. I think most Japanese glass from the 50s gets passed off at something else as its rare to find on with a label still on. If you do find one its almost worth buying for the label alone if its cheap.

Pete
the newly born-again label fetshist
Pete

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
A mystery solved
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 11:46:38 AM »
There's one of these candlesticks on the WF site - also described as Old Colony Japan.

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
A mystery solved
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 07:22:33 PM »
Probably!

What is wrong with traditional auction speak of:

Attributed to...

In the manner of...

School of...

etc. Means the same thing usually :wink:

Offline JC

• Members
A mystery solved
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 01:40:46 AM »
Thanks Cathy,
That is 3 mysteries solved for me.
I have the Old Colony sitting around here, been waiting for me to stumble on an ID for it.
I also have a Stella Polaris bottle designed by Nanny Smith  plus  Pala designed by Helen Tynell, sitting amoung my glass collection UN indentified. I am hoping the last 2 items I mention do have the correct name and designer attirubuted to them on that website.
  :)  
Julie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand