No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano? surely a Whitefriars  (Read 1646 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Murano? surely a Whitefriars
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »
I am pretty sure that this paperweight is a Whitefriars. Why Murano?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: Murano? surely a Whitefriars
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
Some of the canes look like Caithness to me. I think this is made by them under the Whitefriars name.

Usually when a seller gets it wrong, it's a better attribution than the piece actually is.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
Looks right to me for a pre-Caithness 'pure' Whitefriars.   Whitefriars went bust I think in 1980, well before Caithness arrived and took the rights to the name.    A 1976 monk cane fits well with this.

As to Murano, I'm guessing that the seller thinks that's a more marketable name.   Little does he know ...

Regards

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
The canes in the eBay weight are original Whitefriars and the base of that weight is formed in the original Whitefriars way.

Similar canes used by Caithness were also used for the Edinburgh Crystal millefiori range of weights, which Caithness made for them under contract, using canes made under contract by John Deacons. Not surprisingly, the same canes can also be seen in John Deacons' "St Kilda" weights (and possibly others).

There are differences in the canes from original Whitefriars and those from later Scottish work. But it is sometimes hard to tell one from the other without checking several references.
KevinH

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
Hi all

After Whitefriars folded in 1980 Caithness acquired the Whitefriars name and logo in 1981. By December 1981 they had issued their first Caithness/Whitefriars weight - "Snow crystal" which bore the white monk logo cane but without a date.

To my knowledge, no Caithness/Whitefriars were issued with a dated monk cane unlike the original Whitefriars weights.  There were only a few designs produced that were pure millefiori and also bearing the Whitefriars name. Most were based on lampwork designs.
Certainly none in the Charlton catalogue bear any resemblance to the weight in question.

Finally as KevH noted the base is a typical Whitefriars base - Caithness/Whitefriars weights are basically flat although sometimes enhanced.

Best regards

Derek

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »
I learn something new every day.  :)

I have a Deacons weight of very recent make that has canes like that Whitefriars.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 02:05:05 PM »
 100% W/Fs 1976 weight. i have had several . Over on whitefriars.com there is a weight that has been set up on the button but not had the dome put over it , some of you may find it interesting .on the isit W/Fs section.jp :sleep:

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »
And there is obviously a dated white monk cane, which the description says is or 1976.........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand