No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: perhaps sklo union......hot worked  (Read 8280 times)

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
perhaps sklo union......hot worked
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
rather a clean and stylish piece....gives me the feeling of sklo union...and ideas please-

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: perhaps sklo union......hot worked
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:20:05 PM »
Norman: Had a look a this piece again, but can't offer much. I can see the top of the vase but not the base. Is it one shade of blue in a sommerso drop? What's the bottom like? You say that it's been hot-worked; is there a special feature that stems from the hot-working? Having said all that, my first reaction would be Scandinavian, but very tentatively.

There was thread a little while ago where a few of use were comparing what we took to be Skrdlovice vases. I'll look for later today as it might be of some use to you.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 12:05:25 AM »
Norman:  the previous thread can be found in glass under "Topic: Re: Heavy glass vase"

I'll have to read the instructions to find out how to put that in so it appears as a link. Read instructions? Now there's a novel idea for me.

David

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »
Norman,

I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that the hot worked Czech glass is not usually referred to under the Sklo Union title.

Marcus will probably confirm if he's about.

I tend to agree that there is a look of Skrdlovice about this piece. How's it finshed on the base?

Nigel

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 08:19:08 AM »
Thanks David...for looking
Nigel the base is flat and smooth polished....i am not in my zurich studio at the moment but by wednesday i will take a base pic...which i should have done from the start.So if i compare the glass body with the base it looks alike.dont know if this explains what i mean ...aargh!
many thanks for all the good advice.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 02:01:03 AM »

Hi Norman.

A hand/hint that I can give you, is the fact that the Sklo Union companies did not produce cased glass. There are a few instances where there are applied colours to an item, but this is definitely not an SU piece.

Della
xx
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 02:32:35 AM »
I presumed that what Norman was asking was if this piece is Czech glass. I'd fallen into the same habit as Norman, that is, calling all glass produced in communist Czechoslovakia "Sklo Union." Reading Sklo Union by Marcus makes it clear (I think) that Sklo Union only made pressed glass. I agree that, for the sake of accuracy, we should restrict that term to pressed glass. But what should we called the hot worked glass from Skrdlovice, Harrachov and Zelezny Brod, for example? Czech hot glass? (Please, no.)  Was there an umbrella term for those factories? Or should we be running a contest to come up with a new name? Is this a new thread, he asked hopefully?

David

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
Hi Della
thank u so much for the invaluable hint.Another kind and considerate member has helped me looking at the different issues and shown me how to look at murano glass....which this piece is...sommerso.I have been researching and learning about glass this last year as a new interest so i am truly delighted with all the help and guidance.I have both Mark and Marcus books but still i have doubts when i see so much glass.I guess it will be a matter of time
most importantly that i get to use the correct terminology for the different glass houses.....lesson learnt.
once again thank u for your support

norman

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 10:33:41 AM »
Hi there David
yes i have had that bad habit of calling Czech glass sklo union....a new term that i have learnt since the two new books which i have bought covering Czech glass. I purchased a wonderful book ...age of diversity...two years ago which set me on the way looking for a new collectors interest.
So as i have said to Della that my terminology needs to be perfect and correct....taken note.
What to call the rest would be good advice as then there would be no confusion from my part...smile.
I truly appreciate your comments and help.
many tks
norman

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
Except that sommerso is not a technique reserved for Murano glass, although it is an Italian term. Can we see a side on picture against a plain white background please, because I'm not convinced it's from Murano

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand