No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: perhaps sklo union......hot worked  (Read 8238 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Re: perhaps sklo union......hot worked
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 05:23:57 PM »
Jindrich, as to us UK people, you are dealing with a very lazy bunch, I'm afraid, who are even  confused about our own national identity.  We have so many names for our country and our nation that we don't even realise the differences ourselves. English doesn't really exist as an identity yet for decades we have thoughtlessly used English when we mean British. Very few people know which of the British Isles belong to the UK. Scotland is often referred to as a country. Wales is a principality and Northern Ireland a province. In general we have little patience with these fine distinctions.

However, there is growing interest in the glass of your country. Gradually glass collectors will learn to distinguish the differences in your name but it will take a while. In the meantime Czechoslovakian in an Ebay title is just too long and leaves room for little else. I do use the whole word in the description if appropriate as do some others. As a buyer I have had reason, many times, to question a seller on what it actually says on their label; Czechoslovakia or Czech Republic. I have seen items with a Czech Republic label described as Art Deco! (I'm not talking about Desna repros of Hoffman & Schlevogt pieces) It's impossible to tell if that is deliberate obfuscation, ignorance or just indifference.

Initially, even I found it confusing as someone who knew already knew something about the Velvet Divorce and the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Bohemia label. So yes patience please and thank you for all your help and your invaluable perspective as a Czech. We value that greatly.
Pete

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 05:55:20 PM »
Well Pete and TxSilver,
I understand the issue. Our country is so small in fact, that we glass collectors know each other well, we meets on Saturdays at the same market in Prague :-)
You should note that when I will drive with car any direction from my home village near Prague, I am within 2 hours on the border to Germany, Austria, Poland or Slovakia. :-)

The after WWII history is briefly but very exactly described in Marcus's Newhall Sklo Union book.

If you want to know more amout the Czech nation history, let me know, I will find some sources.

Jindrich

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 07:33:17 PM »
You could fit 125 Czech Republics in the USA.  I'm envious of the amazing amount and diversity of glass, glassmaking and glass history you've got packed in that little country.

I was in Prague for a week in 1988.  Beautiful city!!!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand