No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kastrup Holmegaard name changes  (Read 3538 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Kastrup Holmegaard name changes
« on: September 08, 2005, 08:38:38 PM »
Hi

This has always interested me – the Kastrup/Holmegaard thing

This is a Kastrup before Holmegaard ‘Magasinet’ – (what does the other word say/) decanter

http://tinypic.com/dhcpp3.jpg Kastrup

When did these decanters become known as ‘Kuttrolf’ – it seems to be after the Kastrup/Holmegaard label was changed to the simple Holmegaard label - Holmegaard took over Kastrup in 65 used the swan label below (how long?) and then changed to 'red window' Holmegaard logo

http://tinypic.com/dhcpw9.jpg Holmegaard

Thanks

Adam D555 :twisted:

Here is a photo of the interim label taken from a Gulvase

Anyone know the history of the name change from Magasinet or what ever to Kuttrolf?
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 08:42:19 PM »
Magasinet is Danish for shop or outlet.
Kuttrolf is the mediaeval word denoting a decanter with 4 sides buckled in. The piece is inspired on mediaeval glass.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 08:56:57 PM »
LOL - my Danish is no good

So these were always known as Kuttrolf - by both companies Kastrup and Holmegaard

Adam

btw Ivo what is the word above Magasinet - is it the shop
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 09:05:20 PM »
Udstyr is accessory or gadget  8)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Kastrup Holmegaard name changes
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 11:49:03 PM »
Bit of a thread revival...

I can't find any instance where Kastrup / Holmegaard themselves refer to this shape as 'kuttrolf', Holmegaard's 1853 catalogue refers to them as 'Klukflasker'.

But I have also found some printed material where the shape is generically called 'angster' - I can't find any other reference to this name, though.

Quote from: Full text from a leaflet accompanying a production sample kuttrolf :
The "Cluck" Bottle

The "cluck" bottle you hold in your hand is a small copy of the century-old decanter, which was made already in Roman times.

During the mediaeval times a very special German type called "Angster" was made, and during the 18th Century this form was brought to Scandinavia, where today it is unique, particularly in Denmark and Norway. This small "cluck" bottle is mouth-blown and hand-made by Kastrup-Holmegaard, modelled on bigger bottles all to contain the famous Danish "snaps", like the "cluck" bottle a product of high quality and tradition.

Is the term "Angster" a specifically Danish one? Also, does anyone know when they were rebranded as Kluk-Kluk, as opposed to Klukflaske / "Cluck" Bottles? I'm guessing c.1970.

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 05:44:30 AM »
Hi, the first label reads as "The equipment store".
Magasin is used in several contexts..magazine as in connection with a firearm ( not likely here!), as in a stockroom where things are kept until you need them and then again as shop/store.  The letters "et" at the end of the word mean "the"

When we put things into storage, we "opmagasinere"them  :)

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »
Hi Nic try this www.rijksmuseum.nl type in angster, the vase they show does'nt look anything like your kluk-kluk.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 09:27:02 AM »
Quite a construction, must have been very expensive and virtually uncleanable!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 09:33:40 AM »
Thanks for the link, Sue. The information corroborates some material Max kindly forwarded to me in which Angster and Kuttrolf are interchangeable terms.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand