No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Question of origin  (Read 3428 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Question of origin
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:10:11 PM »
Hi All

This paperweight is in a style that turns up in many locations (Alsace, Belgium, Bohemia, US etc).  The name 'June' suggests an English speaking origin, but is it American - or might it be English even? Any thoughts?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Question of origin
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:47:21 PM »
Hi Alan
It is very clearly one of those nameweights made by Pilkington. They all have that little flower set up which is virtually a signature
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 01:14:49 PM »
Where is Pilkington and when did they stop producing weights? How old is the weight in question?

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
Pilkington Glass is located up near St Helens in Lancashire. They did not make paperweights as production items but if you went to their gift shop you couold order one of these weights and have whatever name you wanted put inside. They always had the flowers above and quite often were underlined. I believe these weights were made in the 1960's - 1970's
Dave

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »
I once saw two crates of these types of weight and I took a couple of reference photos of one of the crates (Left side here ... Right side here). There were "named" weights and other styles including small blue glass "dump-type" items, one with the name "Joe" added!

The gentleman who had them said that Pilkington management denied the making of paperweights in their works. The gentleman also said he believed they were made by Pilkington workers who had emigrated from Czechoslvakia (hence the Czech / Bohemian theme) and were friggers for friends and relatives. But Dave's explanation seems just as reasonable to me and may well be what happened with many of the weights.
KevinH

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:07:05 AM »
Very interesting discussion.  I'm planning to update the listings I have on my web site for my POLLY and BRENVIN weights.  I always thought they were made somewhere in the Czech region.  BRENVIN is not an English sounding name. 

Thanks for the info.

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline tzenka

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:41:33 AM »
I’ve seen exactly the same type of weights with inscriptions in German (like greetings from Vienna etc.), so I assumed they were “Bohemian”. Several Austrian sellers call them Bohemian too.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:21:16 AM »
I think the point is that they are all in a "Bohemian" style, but where they come from may (note the may) be indicated by what they say and where they were sourced from.

Offline Yorkysam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »
Hi! Ive just bought this paperweight commemorating the LRDG, a British military unit from WW2.

and it seems to have the flower design as you suggest above. Ive emailed Pilkingtons to see if they can help out, and am wondering what they will say!
Im not a paperweight collector, I collect memorabilia connected with the LRDG, amd Im trying to track down anything anyone knows about the weight, or any duplicates... seems it was made for a G patrol reunion - anyone seen any like it?
(Just joined the forum after Googling and finding you guys)
Cheers :)

Offline Yorkysam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
An addition to my post above - the item came from a militaria collector in New Zealand (who felt it was from a reunion after the war), who in turn bought it from another Kiwi. After that the trail goes murky!
Thanks to the emailer who messaged me today with clues ref the Pilkington link, if you are here.

Given that the LRDG (enthusiastically) fought the Germans 1941-45 (though never actually IN Germany - Sahara and Aegean islands were their stamping grounds), I think its unlikely that this piece has any connection with Austria or Prussia.... unless it was made after the war during the Occupation?

Whether a reunion item or perhaps from the immediate post-war period, both theories suggest there may be more of them - possibly quite a few more!

Opinions welcome!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand