No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Venini???  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Missc

• Members
Is this Venini???
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »
Hi,

I so appreciate all the help from my first post (see MISS C "Identifying crack"). I am a complete novice and I've gotten some glass recently through E-bay and would like to see if I can have any help identifying it. I've pretty much run out of money and as much as I would like to start my own library of books, I'll have to wait until I rebuild my bank account. My sister also bought some pieces (she has more money than I do) and I told her about this site as well. Anyway unfortunately, I don't have a camera so I have to use the photos I got from the auctions. This bowl has a concave bottom and there seem to be a couple of small ash flakes in the white canes. I have some other pieces that I would like help with also. I will post the other two photos in another post. Thank you so much!

Offline Missc

• Members
Re: Is this Venini???
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »
Here are the other two pictures.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:05:18 AM »
Hi: Nice piece, and worth taking a chance on, I think, if you bought it for a reasonable price on eBay. I don't think it's Venini--it would very likely have been signed--, but the title of the photographs give another starting point: Dino Martens for Aureliano Toso. The filigree is very similar to what Martens used: white and another colour edged with bronze. The bowl bears some resemblance to Model 5267 on p.156 of the Martens book by Marc Heiremans. My concern would be that the shape is too regular, and I'm not sure Martens used that red. Other people on the GMB know Martens work far better than I do; hopefully, somebody will be able to give you a more precise answer. Definitely worth further investigation.

Good luck.

David 
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 08:10:18 AM »
I agree with David i have similar pieces by Dino Martens but in black white and gold and two have small pieces of (ash) ? in them as is often the case . I have seen pieces in red . very nice .

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:47:48 PM »
Thank you for the information. I hope other people have more. It does have a band of what looks like aventurine in it. I wasn't sure if it was Martens either. I looked at a paperweight on the Trocadero website that had the similar colors and the concave area. I am not sure either. Maybe someone who knows the Martens work can let me know what they can come up with.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:03:01 PM »
Well if you are not sure i will give you a couple of bob for it ,cos i am . :angel:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:36:14 PM »
I'll up it to three bob, even in these desperate times. In fact, I would go four, no problem.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 11:55:56 PM »
A whole 4 bob? Well, I will have to think on it *not*   :P

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 02:22:07 PM »
Dino Martens did do red and white on a few of his pieces. I haven't seen this style of bowl attributed to him, though. I wonder if it is Aureliano Toso and is based on Dino's half filigree design. It is hard to say. Other companies can copy a popular design. It is easy to see the glass is well done. You have a great eye for someone who is just learning about Murano! Every piece that you have shown us is exquisite.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »
I have seen the table lamps in that colour , OK i will make it a couple of quid . :angel:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand