No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Trefoil  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Murano Trefoil
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:17:16 AM »
Hello,

On a recent trip, I came across this paperweight which I believe to be Murano.  It has several features I have not seen in Murano weights .... the design fills the entire dome, the base is concave, and there is a pontil scar.  The dark area on the rim of the base is old felt.  The dimensions are slightly greater than 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 inches.  The weight is 0.728 kg (approx 1-1/2 lbs).  The garlands hover over the undulating aventurine which thins out in the area around the center cane.

I would like to find out more about this paperweight, including when this weight might have been created and who the artist may have been.  Your thoughts and comments will be appreciated.

All the best ..... Lily :)     

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11181

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: Murano Trefoil
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 03:57:33 AM »
Canes are definitely Murano. Could you post some close ups of the canes? I may be able to give you a maker.

Very nice piece!
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:28:03 PM »
Here are some additional photos (added to the original group).  The close-ups are not the best :-\ but, perhaps you will be able to better discern the canes.  There are also two more of the base.  I hope this helps!

All the best .... Lily  :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11189

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:30:55 AM »
I almost certain your paperweight is by Fratelli Toso. I've seen those cane clusters in other FT weights. The set up on a super glittery aventurine ground is something you see in a lot of FT weights too. The base treatment is unusual for FT. Maybe this was something someone took home from the glassworks.

Regardless, you have a very nice example there. I'd love to find one for my FT collection.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:35:04 AM »
Thanks, GTH, for your thoughts regarding this trefoil.  I almost didn't get it, but it kept whispering to me so I added 100 or so miles to my rental car.

It really is nice to look at and someone took very good care of it.  I feel the canes are unusual for a Murano as they are pretty complex and I have not seen the bull's-eye-style cane before.  Then again, I don't get around very much so ....  :huh:  The concave base continues to perplex me.  What do you estimate its age to be?  It is definitely not new.  I was thinking 1940's-50's but was also wondering if it might be earlier or even antique?

It does have a very small cullet as well as some ridges (not scratches) which you can see if the weight is held in just the right light.  You can also feel these "ridges" but, believe it or not, they do not interfere with the view!  These ridges do not appear to be sugaring or the normal striations sometimes seen in Murano weights which can distort images.  It's kind of like the glass in that area was not completely smoothed.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts.  I will continue to try to get better photos of the canes. 

All the best .... Lily :comp:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11194 

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 03:34:37 AM »
I've noticed ridges on my FT pieces. It's one of the things that help me identify them. I've seen bundled canes in other weights but they're not as common as unbundled. When you look at the bundles you see they are composed of what I call 'zigzag' canes for want of a better term. FT used lots of zigzags in various renditions. Those bullseyes are rather unusual and they are nice and undistorted. FT generally has crisp canes but they are usually pretty large. I'm not certain of age but the way the ground looks I would guess 70s.

Some FTs be pretty sloppy, then there's those where they put in the extra effort to make something special like yours.

My Paperweight Blog

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:30:58 AM »
Hi, glasstrufflehunter, I had a reply all typed out a few days ago and then lost it when I went to post!!!!! :hb2:  Anyway, things got busy after that.

I understand what you are saying about the zigzag canes, especially in the central cane, and agree that FT is the likely maker.  As for the bullseye canes, I should have looked in my own back yard for an example in a Murano weight which I believe was identified as 3-Fiori some time back.  As far as age goes, I still lean toward earlier than the '70's but have nothing concrete to base my inclination on.  The weight overall is just "different" from my other Muranos and for such a large weight, it really doesn't seem to have that heftiness that most Muranos do.  And then there is that concave base and scar ....

I'm really glad you like this garlanded Murano and do very much appreciate your thoughts and willingness to share them.  If you come up with anything else, please let me know.

Happy New Year in good health and good times .... Lily :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3224   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand