Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Murano Trefoil

(1/2) > >>

Lily of the Valley:
Hello,

On a recent trip, I came across this paperweight which I believe to be Murano.  It has several features I have not seen in Murano weights .... the design fills the entire dome, the base is concave, and there is a pontil scar.  The dark area on the rim of the base is old felt.  The dimensions are slightly greater than 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 inches.  The weight is 0.728 kg (approx 1-1/2 lbs).  The garlands hover over the undulating aventurine which thins out in the area around the center cane.

I would like to find out more about this paperweight, including when this weight might have been created and who the artist may have been.  Your thoughts and comments will be appreciated.

All the best ..... Lily :)     

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11181

glasstrufflehunter:
Canes are definitely Murano. Could you post some close ups of the canes? I may be able to give you a maker.

Very nice piece!

Lily of the Valley:
Here are some additional photos (added to the original group).  The close-ups are not the best :-\ but, perhaps you will be able to better discern the canes.  There are also two more of the base.  I hope this helps!

All the best .... Lily  :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11189

glasstrufflehunter:
I almost certain your paperweight is by Fratelli Toso. I've seen those cane clusters in other FT weights. The set up on a super glittery aventurine ground is something you see in a lot of FT weights too. The base treatment is unusual for FT. Maybe this was something someone took home from the glassworks.

Regardless, you have a very nice example there. I'd love to find one for my FT collection.

Lily of the Valley:
Thanks, GTH, for your thoughts regarding this trefoil.  I almost didn't get it, but it kept whispering to me so I added 100 or so miles to my rental car.

It really is nice to look at and someone took very good care of it.  I feel the canes are unusual for a Murano as they are pretty complex and I have not seen the bull's-eye-style cane before.  Then again, I don't get around very much so ....  :huh:  The concave base continues to perplex me.  What do you estimate its age to be?  It is definitely not new.  I was thinking 1940's-50's but was also wondering if it might be earlier or even antique?

It does have a very small cullet as well as some ridges (not scratches) which you can see if the weight is held in just the right light.  You can also feel these "ridges" but, believe it or not, they do not interfere with the view!  These ridges do not appear to be sugaring or the normal striations sometimes seen in Murano weights which can distort images.  It's kind of like the glass in that area was not completely smoothed.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts.  I will continue to try to get better photos of the canes. 

All the best .... Lily :comp:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11194 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version