No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Security Alert, please Read & Take Action  (Read 996 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • Glass Trinket Sets
Security Alert, please Read & Take Action
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:04:38 AM »
It has been brought to our attention that a number of glass-related usernames, email addresses and passwords have been posted in a file on a hacker website.

Having checked this out I am of the opinion that these were not stolen from the GMB and that our security has not been breached.

The way our passwords are stored makes them very secure, as they use strong encryption plus other security measures. 

That some of the data on the list clearly relates to glass people means we are concerned, even if we are not the source, hence this alert.

So, what should you do?

The short answer is Be Sensible and change your password to something secure on any site related to glass that you use, including the GMB.

You can also (and are recommended to) set a security question for your profile here on the board, as you can on many sites, or enable two-factor authentication on sites if they offer it (the GMB does not have this option currently).   

If you have lots of passwords to remember then I recommend you check out a password manager such as LastPass - the free version will keep your passwords quite safe.

If you used the same password and email combination on other sites as on your glass ones then I suggest it would be sensible to change them all to something else, and not to use the same password and email combination on different sites.

If anyone wants further advice please just ask.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Look for glass on
 ebay.co.uk 
Look for glass on
 eBay.com (US)

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand