No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars lamp fittings  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Paul t Webster

• Members
Whitefriars lamp fittings
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »
Hi all, this is my first posting here, so apologies if I'm doing this the wrong way round, but I'm sure I'll be offered guidance if that is the case. I am looking for as much info as possible in order to replicate, or locate an original electric light fitting as would have been used on Whitefriars lamp bases circa 1930-1940. I have placed a similar question on whitefrars.com along with a photo of the 8057 that I'm trying to reinstate to it's intended use. As I say, I'm a newbie here, so I'll post photos and links etc as soon as I've been through the FAQ's and tutorial topics. Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. Kindest regards and all the very best for 2009. Paul Webster.
PS photo can be found on whitefriars.com either in my gallery or posted on 'is it?'

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Whitefriars lamp fittings
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 07:06:22 PM »
Hi Paul i have the same in Ruby and have been into W/Fs many years and have seen several but all without fittings
but if you get in touch with Willie Clegg or Harvey Ferrry at THE COUNTRY SEAT I believe they have researched these and they are very helpfull ,all the books and catalogues show them without fittings . JP

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:21:49 PM »
Hi,
 I have already posted this link on the Paul's Whitefriars.com question but others may be interested in these  factory photos of lamp bases and shades............ http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/bargiepat/Whitefriars%20Lamp%20Bases/

Regards, Patrick.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »
Hi,

I saw this on W/f's dot com earlier today and considered putting an entry, but I felt that Patrick's input had sort of dealt with it.

Some years ago I had two versions on this vase with the original lamp fittings. Sadly I have no photos; in those days I suppose I thought that these complete pieces would turn up from time-to-time ::)

They certainly used cork as the core going into the top of the neck. This was covered with a cap/disc that looked bronze, but was probably pattinated brass given its age. A threaded rod ran through the cork with a nut at the base end and a brass bulb holder at the top (above the disc). The cord ran from the base of the bulb holder, as with so many lamps of this era, giving a rather dodgy centre of gravity - possibly leading to these being easily knocked over, etc...

I also recall seeing other versions that had sand inside the vase/lamp to give it weight to help counter the abovementioned problem.

Cheers, Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul t Webster

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
Hi Guys, many thanks indeed, very much appreciated. I'll post pics when I've completed.
Kindest regards, Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand