No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unique "M" on black and white fused millefiori bowl.  (Read 4414 times)

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
Unique "M" on black and white fused millefiori bowl.
« on: January 01, 2009, 05:36:45 AM »
Please help,

I just acquired this black and white fused millefiori bowl and was wondering if anyone knows or has seen
this kind of millefiori before?  The bowl is 13cm in diameter and 2.8cm in height.  I have never seen
anything like this so far.  I am especially interested in the clear and white "M" initial cane.  Could this
be a denotation of Murano origin or possibly an artists signature?  As you can see in the last picture,
the clear cane really shines when light is introduced.  Hopefully someone can help me figure out what
I have!

Thanks, in advance,

westred
westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Unique "M" on black and white fused millefiori bowl.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:29:04 AM »
Hi:

Welcome to the Board.

I seem to remember that this a modern millefiori piece. I've seen a few pieces like this recently on eBay and on some sellers' sites. I'm not at my usual computer right now so I can't check my bookmarks. I'll look tomorrow. My recollection was they were made by one of the smaller Murano furnaces.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
Hi i believe its Moretti , yes modern . :angel: Generations of them in glass , Carlo the best known . :kissy:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:22:24 PM »
Is it just me, or does the bowl has a distinct optical effect? The larger murrines that are scattered her and there makes the bowl pop, almost like bubbles coming out of water. Great bowl!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline westred

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »
  Thanks TxSilver.............I agree. There was something special about the bowl and that's why I got it!
I won it off eBay of all things, and had to pay a "little more" to win the auction and acquire it.  But, to me
it was worth it.  I had never seen anything like it.  At first it almost seems fake and I thought the
millefiori was a transfer.  But when you take a close look, it is real cane going all the way through!
You can tell, one....by where the larger canes are located, they are evident on both sides.  And,
second....the outside of the bowl is very smooth, but on the inside, you can feel where each millefiori
cane is raised just a bit.
  That's why I joined this board to share and learn more about this love affair I have with Murano!
Thank you for your comment!

P.S.  I graduated H.S. in Eagle Pass, Texas, so I am an old Longhorn myself and carry it with me forever.
Someday, I will tell you why I still abode up here in the Northern Wasteland!  LOL!!   ;D

westred

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 05:24:37 PM »
Moretti, of course. Thanks, Anita. The company is Ercole Moretti e F'lli (i.e. not Carlo Moretti), and you can see some of their similar work at http://www.morphica.jp/jsp/leaf/index.jsp?query.productid=00001012. (Some of the site is in Japanese, but enough is in English.)  The plates are listed at 24,8850 yen, which equals $272.63 US.  I think the murrines are made by Effetre, a big Murano company. You can see samples at http://www.ec-securehost.com/DancingMillefiori/Flowers.html   I think your murrine is model 123.

Happy New Year!

David

P.S. Just checked and E Moretti have their own very good web site. It's http://www.ercolemoretti.it/en/.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »
Did i say it was by Carlo Moretti  no i just said he was one of the best known Morettis ,but i did say it was Morretti . :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: Thanks all .

Offline westred

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
Thanks  for the rapid response, langhaugh!  That purchase was well worth the investment and I thought so!
I'm getting better at recognizing real quality Murano pieces.  I really appreciate the information!

westred

Offline westred

• Members
Thanks again, langhaugh!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
  Just checked the website for the link you gave me langhaugh, my bowl is the 130mm @ $20,370 yen.  I noticed the the cane in
mine is a little different.  Even the monogram  cane is different.  I am betting that this is a little older than the ones you can purchase
today.  This was a great find for me!  I love it.  Very different from anything else I have.
  Thanks, again, for your "expert" assistance.  I'll bet you have been doing this just a little longer than me.

westred :thup:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »
Westred:
thanks. I haven't been collecting too long but I have almost as much time as I have interest. I am far from an expert, but the idea of sharing knowledge, as happens on the GMB, appeals to me.

Johnphilip:  Sorry, I thanked Anita and not you. I guess I'm just  habituated to thank her. You were spot on about the Moretti and I knew that you weren't suggesting Carlo. 

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand