No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schnapps flask, is it really Alsterfors?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Schnapps flask, is it really Alsterfors?
« on: January 01, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »
Hi, when I bought this Schnapps flask it had a suspiciously glued on Alsterfors stickers which has since perished. Was it really made by Alsterfors and would this be an example of a flask made using the half-post method?
The flask has a polished pontil mark on the base.

A happy new year to all.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Schnapps flask, is it really Alsterfors?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:49:14 AM »
Congratulations you have succesfully figured out the function, the manufacturing method, the country of origin and indeed the maker. Many companies in Sweden have or have had the half-post Snapsbottle in their program, including Skruf, Orrefors, Alsterfors and Johansfors. Holmegaard in Denmark was another important maker. That the label was uncertainly afixed should not bother you. It is unlikely that anyone would pretend it is something else. Alsterfors is good enough.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:42:34 PM »
Thank you Ivo for confirming those details, all I need now is some schnapps to store in it and maybe a liver that could handle the extra abuse. I will drink a toast to the glass message board and all glass lovers, Cheers!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
Found another of these Schnapps bottles last week, the new one is missing it's stopper. The stopper of the (original) bottle on the left does not fit the bottle on the right.

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a replacement stopper for the second decanter? I have been able to find many stoppers on line but not in this style.

Cheers,
John

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »
They're quite common features of Scandinavian glass, so your best bet would be to hunt out very low-end decanters utilising them that are selling cheaply. Holmegaard Christmas bottles, for example, are oft' to be found at fairs and bootsales for small change.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:38:55 PM »
Cheers Nic, good idea, I will be keeping an eye out for one at the boots. I imagine I could use a sharp blade to trim one to fit if need be.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand