No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bubble based vases revisited  (Read 5634 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Bubble based vases revisited
« on: September 10, 2005, 01:28:37 AM »
Following on from earlier threads about the pierced bubble based vases a la Tapio Wirkkala I have another example to throw into the pot...

...spotted today whilst in a pound shop in Lancaster, and I bought one for reference and closer inspection...
All vase... http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-532
Bubble base... http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-534
Label close up... http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-535

Impression of the vase... poor quality glass, has various imperfections visible in the glass, i.e. creases and straw-type marks. Bubble reasonably well done.

Compared to the Marks and Spencers one bought earlier - see http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-423 the Eternalle one is slimmer and taller but not as good quality.

I also managed to find one listed as Tapio Wirkkala with the Iittala label here... http://13th-f.com/main/tapio_wirkkala/twg-vs01.htm - now I need one of those in the "flesh" as it were to put all three side by side and see how they compare.  Watch this space...  :wink:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 02:52:54 PM »
It will be interesting to see a picture of them side-by-side to compare Anne.  I spotted the same cheapo £1 vase this morning with an identical label, but it doesn't actually say where it was made. Reminds me of milk bottle glass, if you know what I mean, and looks as though a small gust of wind would blow it over.

Regards - t'other Anne :lol:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 03:05:10 PM »
Yes they're not really very substantial at all Anne.   There's an e-mail address on it which when I checked, the domain redirected to me to another domain in the UK which is totally password protected - no index page even without a user name and password!  :shock: Not very user friendly. :roll:

Can I ask if you saw yours in a similar outlet to the one I bought Anne? (Mine was one of those everything for £1 shops which tells you how much it cost me. :lol:)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 04:11:31 PM »
It was a local £ shop, but was priced £1.20 !!! :?  Bloomin rip-off :twisted: Another local cheapo shop selling virtually everything (should be called Arkwrights :D ), has glass labelled  "Made in China" but the quality is poor.   Also checked our local small Woolies, but their glass doesn't state origins, just the name of the Company it is made for in the U.K. However, their glass was much better quality and some really cool contemporary designs. 8)   Lots of Polish glass in local John Lewis - and really nice!  And, for the first time ever, I dragged hubby into T.K.Maxx just to check out the glass and was really amazed at the prices and quality of some pieces.  Again some Polish glass and Murano too.

Regards - t'other Anne :P
Anne E.B

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 09:03:27 PM »
Thanks Anne.... that must inflation then..??? Higher cost of living in the city you see!  :lol:

A lot of the John Lewis glass seems to be LSA from their website - there isn't a JL near to me so I went to look online...  Preston will be the closest I think. As for TK Maxx I've never seen one at all. In fact I'd never even heard of them until I joined this board last year...  again it seems there's one in Preston and the next is Carlisle, and I'm slap bang in the middle of the void!  :roll: Shows how often I leave my rural paradise huh...?  :lol:

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Re: Bubble based vases revisited
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 06:43:37 AM »
Quote from: "Anne"
I also managed to find one listed as Tapio Wirkkala with the Iittala label here... http://13th-f.com/main/tapio_wirkkala/twg-vs01.htm - now I need one of those in the "flesh" as it were to put all three side by side and see how they compare.  Watch this space...  :wink:

Hi Anne,
I don't know if you managed to get hold of one of the Iittala ones. I sold one some time ago but still have the photos, including some close-ups:

Whole
Bubble
Base

The finish was very good, as you'd expect, and the sides where of a very even thickness. The bubble was very symmetrical. When I looked at the M&S ones some time ago, the sides seemed quite variable in thickness  :lol:

robbo
robbo

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 01:32:02 PM »
Robbo, thanks so much for posting these pictures. I've still only seen pics of the TW vases on the internet, never seen managed to handle one in vitro.

Your comments about quality are very useful, and that you have handled one so can report first hand about theat quality. Like you I found the M&S ones very variable - especially where the curved colour ends - some were very lopsided!  Your pictures seem to show a very even curve to this join.

The Eternalle one nowhere near as good quality glass but the bubble is fairly well done, oddly enough!

I know Peter (paradisetrader) had doubts that the signed ones were genuine TW pieces so your input is valuable, thanks again.

I also found another bubble-based vase with a different shaped body but cannot find out who made this one-
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-429

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 04:05:56 PM »
I know Peter (paradisetrader) had doubts that the signed ones were genuine TW pieces so your input is valuable, thanks again.
Only the particular one under discussion at that time, Anne, as it was a rather strange very pale color and we have seen suspect TW signatures here before.

I was also confused when it was suggested that the ones where the bubble goes thru to the base were made by Krosno.

My feeling was that was not nec the case having 2 Aseda vases alike in every way except for the bubble, which went thru to the base.

So I'm very pleased to now have this info & pic - thanks Robbo.
Pete

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:36:34 PM »
Anne,

The e'mail info (all public info):

Registrant:
   ardale international ltd
   haydock lane, haydock
   st helens, merseyside wa11 9we
   United Kingdom

Registrar: DOTSTER
   Domain Name: AILUK.COM
      Created on: 09-MAR-02
      Expires on: 09-MAR-10
      Last Updated on: 11-MAR-05

Administrative Contact:
      jones, brian  brian    ardaleinternational.com
      ardale international ltd
      haydock lane, haydock
      st helens, merseyside  wa11 9we
      UK
      01942 292929
      01942 292920

taylog1

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 06:44:05 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"

I also found another bubble-based vase with a different shaped body but cannot find out who made this one-
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-429

Anne,
I've seen a blue (cased) one of these. From what I remember it was attributed to "Iittala or Aseda" OK so they had no idea  :lol:  :lol: I'm 99.999 (recurring) % sure it's not Iittala. Does it have any age to it? If so, maybe Aseda is a possibility? Or maybe Krosno? Is it good quality? The thing that is interesting about it is the amalgamation of elements: the 'Tapio' bubble combined with the undulating ridges on the sides, similar to a Riihimäen carafe designed by Nanny Still (I think called Tsarina). On a carafe the ridges obviously make sense, design wise, as a grip for your hand. (on a vase only if you intend to throw at someone  :roll: )

robbo
robbo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand