No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 7" Heavy Scandianvian Vase--Signed...But By Whom?  (Read 6624 times)

Offline janettekay

• Members
7" Heavy Scandianvian Vase--Signed...But By Whom?
« on: January 01, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
hi all
I have had this vase for awhile...been unable to ID...
7" High  4 3/4"w  and 3/8" Thick....very heavy...
see signature.....I know there was a johanson at Orrefors...but not sure if that is company or not...

thanks so much

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: 7" Heavy Scandianvian Vase--Signed...But By Whom?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
Hi:

There are several Johanssons who have created glass in Sweden recently. There's Willy and Wilhelm, both Hadelands, and Jan and Berit, Orrefors. However, all of them have a double "s" after the "n" and I  see only one "s" on yours, so I don't think it's any of them. (In terms of style, it looks like something a young Jan Johansson might have done.)

Good luck.

David

P.S. Just to confuse things: After I posted, I googled W. Johanson and was led to this site, http://anitasfinearts.com/english/scandglass.html, which shows two pieces by W. Johanson, Orrefors, numbers 7 and 11. Everything else about the site looks very reputable. However, neither the Orrefors books by Duncan and Wickman list W. Johanson as a designer at Orrefors, and the same is true of the Pina books. 
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:35:58 PM »
thanks!!! (I think :o)--now I am more confused than ever ;D
(all these years...I have been thinking not Oreffors...as every piece I had -had the "of" or something similar that led to them)

also--I too only see one "s"..so I fear the mystery continues..... :huh:

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:52:44 AM »
As far as I know, Willy Johansen is spelt correctly.  ;)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 06:27:05 AM »
The only pieces I have by him are signed WJ so I'm relying on books for my spelling. The "e" rather than "o" is not something I've seen. I checked about six books and they all have Johansson. Of course, all the books are in English. I just checked the Hadeland website and it's Johansson. Is it possible we're talking about different people?

David

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 07:10:27 AM »
Hi David, I apologise, that was early morning turbospeed there ( too much coffee, too quickly ) You are right, it's Willy Johansson.

This signature is really bugging me as I know I've seen it somewhere before. Perhaps it's from one of the companies that buys blanks from Kosta or Orrefors and then engraves the blanks..

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »
That would make sense. The W Johanson would be the engraver, then. I had already checked to see if Orrefors has an engraver with that name. No.

Enjoy your coffee. I'm just finishing mine before going to bed. Aren't time zones wonderful?

David

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »
thanks for all your comments... ;).
I do so hope we can solve this mystery :)

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
ah--I am STILL at a loss.after months of looking :(..was hoping someone has thought of something . :huh:. I do so hate to list anything as unknown if at all possible

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 12:58:09 AM »
I haven't come across the name yet, other than at the site I referred to before, which has two pieces by W. Johanson for Orrefors. The site was http://anitasfinearts.com/english/scandglass.html. All the other pieces on the site seem completely legit, yet the numbers they give for the two pieces don't match with Orrefors history. Neither do the two pieces they have match the style of your piece. If we went by Orrrefors coding, your piece would have been designed in the early 1930's. I had a look for it but couldn't find it. All the pieces I saw with numbers around 1180. were engraved and designed by Gate, Hald or Lindstrand, which would have put a G, H, or an L before the number. Also, all the Orrefors vases (and they are all vases) are footed in what looks to be black glass. Do you think your piece could come from the 30's? If yes, one suggestion might be to send on your pictures to Orrefors as they have the most complete records. You could also ask the site in Germany who have the two Johanson pieces what they know about the artist. I used to be reluctant to do things like that, but I've found most people I've asked questions of very helpful.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand