No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 7" Heavy Scandianvian Vase--Signed...But By Whom?  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: 7" Heavy Scandianvian Vase--Signed...But By Whom?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »
The site referenced has more than a few incongruous descriptons and sigs, so you may safely assume that "Johanson" is misread or misspelt....

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 12:13:18 PM »
There is a gentlemen named W. Johansson who lives in the small village of Orrefors, Sweden and signs his variety of
art glass with his name and Orrefors.

He has not been associated with the Orrefors Crystal Group as a designer or glass blower or engraver as far as I can tell in my visits to the Orrefors archives and many visits and studies at the Orrefors Glass School.

Bill Geary

PS. The owners of the Orrefors Crystal Group now want to sell the archives of Orrefors which includes examples of historic art glass, production records of Orrefors. Gullaskruv, Flygsfors, and other companies purchased under prior owners. The projected sale price is 32,000,000 SK and I do not know how this value was developed. The national
government is not interested in saving this important cultural treasure. Anyone know a banker??? I can talk to about buying the archives.

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 01:31:48 PM »
thank you langhaugh, Ivo and Bill for your time and info.. :thup:

I deduce......since there is no "Orrefors" , or legit Orrefors number.....or "correct" spelling for a Orrefors designer....I still can only assume that this is NOT Orrefors..

and go back to my premise...the piece is in the style of some Orrefors and done by unknown artist... :-\

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:04:06 PM »
The site referenced has more than a few incongruous descriptons and sigs, so you may safely assume that "Johanson" is misread or misspelt....

IVO--sorry to bother you ..but need to clarify....you mean "misread or misspelt"..on their site...not anything we are all seeing on my piece..right ?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »
Janette, I think Bill Geary has given you the relevant information about this piece. Bill is very familiar with both the Orrefors glassworks and the surrounding area.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »
thanks anne...I was just a bit confused by all the replies..and was just trying to clarify...I am sorry if I did something wrong..was not questioning anyones info..just trying to make sure I understood what was being told to me...

even with Bill's--since no "Orrefors" is on my  item --and I took this quote to mean he signed with name and  "orrefors" (for town)-so assumed that he was another option..but not definitive ..since "orrefors" was not on piece..
"There is a gentlemen named W. Johansson who lives in the small village of Orrefors, Sweden and signs his variety of
art glass with his name and Orrefors."

and was confused with Ivo's--since was not sure the reference was to not being sure my signature had one or two "s"...or that the site was misreading their listed pieces...re: spelling....

thanks again..

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 05:50:08 AM »
No worry - I referred to the Anitasfineart website which has a few mistakes, so I think it is not inconceivable that her "Johanson" should actually be a double s. In German the single S would make sense! Your piece has indeed no Orrefors on it, so it is not likely they made it. Maybe they produced the blank - maybe it is one from Skruf or from Kosta. I don't think you'll find out...

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
No worry - I referred to the Anitasfineart website which has a few mistakes, so I think it is not inconceivable that her "Johanson" should actually be a double s. In German the single S would make sense! Your piece has indeed no Orrefors on it, so it is not likely they made it. Maybe they produced the blank - maybe it is one from Skruf or from Kosta. I don't think you'll find out...

THANKS ! for the clarification...that is what I thought you meant  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand