No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: identification sheet - clear pressed vase pattern ID required  (Read 2390 times)

Offline cyril_bogavill

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Pressed glass
    • UK
identification sheet - clear pressed vase pattern ID required
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
Hi I have just started collecting and was hoping there was a quick pressed glass pattern guide somewhere? stuck on this line pattern at the moment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: identification sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »
hello Cyril ..                unfortunately, there's nothing very quick about identifying most glass  -  it takes knowledge and experience which is acquired by spending a lot of time looking through books, catalogues and othe people's glass, usually :)
You don't say where you've looked so far, but I've tried Pamela's on line images    http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/     under vases, but regret I can't see this pattern, hope I haven't missed it  -  you might also try    http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/

Wish you success with your collecting, and hope you won't mind if I suggest that for clear glass, dark uniform plain backgrounds are best  -  with clear glass it's impotant to see the detail - having said that, this picture is adequate to see detail.
Also a good idea to include some wording in the subject heading to give an idea of what the item is - which can be very useful for future searches should others need to locate a similar item.

Let's hope someone else will recognise your vase. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: identification sheet - clear pressed vase pattern ID required
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 03:41:18 PM »
Paul, isn't this similar to the Jules Lang vase that features in Patricia's book (p.273) - different pattern, but a registration of 12 Jan 1937 may give you a timescale. But we have been down this route before, methinks (variation on a theme)  ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
The Jules Lang registration of 12 January 1937 is RD 817496, and the link to a previous discussion (with a photo of the Lang vase) is at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,11332.msg189650.html#msg189650

Unfortunately, it's not the vase that Cyril is showing, but there lots of pressed glass vases in that waisted shape in the 1930s.

I'll have a look through my RD photo reference files to see if I can find a match.

Fred.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
Cyril, welcome to Glass Message Board - you'll certainly enjoy your time here!

I do not recognize this pattern immediately, sorry; and I haven't got it in my collection, so don't waste your time on pressglas-pavillon.de in this case  :)

I'd like to know whether your vase is press-blown into a mould (which I presume from your photo) or is it pressed with a plunger, in which case the inside is completely smooth?

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 06:42:14 PM »
I did also first think of that slightly 'Blackpool Tower' looking vase on page 273 of Patricia's book - the bulb wanabee  - but as Fred says, the pattern is different, although this one does also have a sort of 1930's shape, but different enough I'm sure to be unconnected.

The moulding on this one lacks crispness, whether that's because of age of the mould or just a low quality cheap production, I'm not sure - but suspect the latter.    Glass travels, and in truth this piece could be from anywhere.

Hope Cyril doesn't get put off by our lack of ability to provide attribution - my suggestion would be to get out there and look for some more - preferably with Registration Nos.                  Spending time looking at past pressed glass posts would be useful for anyone starting to collect. :)       

P.S.     In view of the shape of this vase, I would have suggested unlikely to be pressed using a plunger, and more probably the first of Pamela's suggested methods.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »
Yes, I agree, definitely not with a plunger with that slightly waisted body.

Oh and welcome to the GMB Cyril  :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand