No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Princess Victoria (?) frosted glass bust with black base  (Read 7353 times)

Offline mikenott

• Members
Princess Victoria (?) frosted glass bust with black base
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »
I picked up this item on ebay. Just because I liked it and I had not seeen it before. The sellers claimed it was of Princess Victoria (first child of Queen victoria b. 1840) made c1858 for when she married Prince William Frederick of Prussia. It really is a pretty piece and has pride of place (for a while at least  :thup: or until I find some more Sowerby Venetian :clap: )

The bust itself is frosted glass and the moulding is very clear and crisp. There are no mould marks. The base is glossy black glass with a slightly concave base which has been ground (at the time of production?) to allow the item to stand vertically. The joint between the black base and the bottom of the frosted bust is two flat horizontal surfaces which seem to be glued together. The whole item is 8.5" high, the black base about 3" and the frosted bust about 5.5".

I have looked on line and there are some portraits of Princess Victoria which look a bit like this bust, but I am not convinced and would really appreciate some insight from memebesr of this forum.

Why am I not sure?

1. The moulding is so good that it appears to be too good for 1858 (or is my understanding incorrect?)
2. There are no mould lines (they could have been ground away before frosting?). The frosted bust and base are solid glass - no internal mould, but the shape doesn't seem to fit to a simple external (press?) mould?
3. The attribution to Princess Victoria could be wrong - maybe it is of someone born later?
4. There are no makers marks to help identify the piece
5. I cannot find any evidence of such a bust on the internet.
6. The bust and base look as if they were made for each other - but were they?

As always, grateful for any feedback, opinion or speculation!!

Michael.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Princess Victoria (?) frosted glass bust with black base
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:06:21 PM »
The style of the hair is more reminiscent of the picture of the earlier Princess Victoria in 1824 (later Queen Victoria) shown here: http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/England-History/QueenVictoria-inPictures.htm - whereas the pictures of the later Princess Victoria (the Princess Royal, later Empress Frederick) show her with more elaborate hair styles and longer hair.

I seem to recall someone on the board saying that the frosting process can smooth out mould marks and even mould numbers/registration numbers etc.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »
It was I, Anne.

I would suggest that a search of www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de may reveal this item's origin, and Reidel of Polaun would be my first thought as to possible manufacturer (shape of the base).

Regards,

Marcus

Offline mikenott

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:24:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I have spent hours going through Pressglas-Korrespondenz (I can only access via internet) and in edition 2005-2 http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/pdf/pk-2005-2w.pdf
 there are some busts which look similar and are attributed to Riedel, Polaun as you suggest. There is also reference to a book by Adlerová in 1995. Must admit my German is not good and Babel Fish has been worked hard!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find out more about Riedel busts and/or have access to Adlerova?

Many Thanks,

Michael

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:41:59 AM »
 Hi, are you referring to this citation?
Adlerová, Alena, Pressglas in der Vergangenheit, Neue Glasrevue Nr.02/1995, S. 4 ff.,
Crystalex, Nový Bor 1995.
If so then this is an article in a journal. Sadly, though I have a considerable holding of this journal, this is not a copy I have.
I will ask Dr Petr Novy in the Czech Republic, if he can supply a copy of the article and forward it to you.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »
I’ve just posted a topic about a frosted glass bust of Prince Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, that bears some remarkable similarities to the frosted glass bust that is the subject of this topic.

The link is
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54887.new.html#new

Hopefully this may  bring forth some comments relevant to both topics.

Fred

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:10:12 PM »
What about this parian porcelain bust of Princess Alexandra at
http://www.rubylane.com/item/370063-004802/c1863-Copeland-Parian-Porcelain-Bust

Dates from circa 1863 and was made to commemorate the Marriage of Alexandra of Denmark to Prince Albert Edward, Prince of Wales.

Personally, I think it’s a pretty good likeness of the lady depicted by the frosted glass bust.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand