No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Older Leaf Crown Vase - Ideas of Maker?  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Older Leaf Crown Vase - Ideas of Maker?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 08:18:09 AM »
Javier, I saw one very like it, but all in clear glass, at the Cambridge Glass Fair.  I asked the dealer if he knew what it was and he said, 'it's a Nailsea crown frigger'   :shock:   It was shorter than yours and looked more crudely made (as far as I can tell from your picture) but the 'leafy' top was certainly *very* similar!

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 11:37:20 PM »
Hi Leni!
Thank you for spotting that piece and asking about it! Nailsea you say?
Hmmmm, all I have seen in my books as "Nailsea" have been the feather type designs. Nothing with a diamond embossed pattern or leaf decorations. That is really interesting. I might have to do some research on Nailsea now!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 12:09:08 AM »
I don't think the item in question has anything at all to do with Nailsea, either in style of the item, or in decorative concept  :!:

It looks to me like a late 19th century piece and could be English or "Continental Europe". The shape of the top does bring "Hatpin holder" to mind, but yes, it could equally be a flower holder. In Victorian Decorative Glass (2002), by Mervyn Gulliver, page 100 has a picture of a 6 inch high vase with a similar "crown" top formed in loops of plain green glass. Unfortunately, attributions are not a normal feature of what in other respects is an excellent book.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: Older Leaf Crown Vase - Ideas of Maker?
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
Hi Javier, can you please repost a piccy...
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand