Author Topic: Older Leaf Crown Vase - Ideas of Maker?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Older Leaf Crown Vase - Ideas of Maker?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 08:18:09 AM »
Javier, I saw one very like it, but all in clear glass, at the Cambridge Glass Fair.  I asked the dealer if he knew what it was and he said, 'it's a Nailsea crown frigger'   :shock:   It was shorter than yours and looked more crudely made (as far as I can tell from your picture) but the 'leafy' top was certainly *very* similar!

Leni
Leni

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 11:37:20 PM »
Hi Leni!
Thank you for spotting that piece and asking about it! Nailsea you say?
Hmmmm, all I have seen in my books as "Nailsea" have been the feather type designs. Nothing with a diamond embossed pattern or leaf decorations. That is really interesting. I might have to do some research on Nailsea now!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass  Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 12:09:08 AM »
I don't think the item in question has anything at all to do with Nailsea, either in style of the item, or in decorative concept  :!:

It looks to me like a late 19th century piece and could be English or "Continental Europe". The shape of the top does bring "Hatpin holder" to mind, but yes, it could equally be a flower holder. In Victorian Decorative Glass (2002), by Mervyn Gulliver, page 100 has a picture of a 6 inch high vase with a similar "crown" top formed in loops of plain green glass. Unfortunately, attributions are not a normal feature of what in other respects is an excellent book.
KevinH

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
Re: Older Leaf Crown Vase - Ideas of Maker?
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
Hi Javier, can you please repost a piccy...

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand