No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue bubbly, Britain or elsewhere in Europe?  (Read 962 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Blue bubbly, Britain or elsewhere in Europe?
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:22:10 PM »
Bright blue about 8" (200mm) high. Well made with applied foot. Astonishingly bright colour, probably 20s-50s.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Blue bubbly, Britain or elsewhere in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:08:05 PM »
It looks very Walsh Walsh Pompeian. Colour looks good and is that an oversize ground out and polished pontil, but not necessarily perfectly round? It might be marked but I'm not sure it has to be marked. Late 20s/early 30s

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:06:05 AM »
Christine — I had a 1 + 6 Pompeian fruit set which had an interesting run of marks from quite strong to completely disappeared, suggesting that the girl (presumably) lined them all up upside down, acided (presumably, as ink becomes inked, so acid becomes acided) her rubber stamp, and then bonk bonk bonk bonk .... down the row — the impression getting fainter with every bonk.   Also, until quite recently, there were always trade buyers who did not want their glass marked, such as buyers for John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, and Liberty's.

Frank — Although I prefer to handle unmarked Pompeian before committing myself, it looks like Pompeian to me.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:11:51 PM »
Thanks folks  :clap:

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
Frank — See Jackson WF Lookalikes for four pages of deceptive repro "Bubbly" aimed at the antiques trade, mostly available in "Sapphire", most of which is obviously Walsh Pompeian.   You can find some in the pattern books reproduced in Reynolds.

These pages are reproduced from Hill Ouston 1934, and don't include your vase, but it would not surprise me if your vase was on another page or in another edition of this trade catalogue.   Quite obviously deceptive repro was (or should have been) unmarked.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 04:33:57 PM »
Bernard,

I love the explanation of the acid stamping, but I am doubtful that a set would be stamped, kept together and then packed.

It doesn't stand up to my (admitted limited) experience of going around glass factory production where the different processes occurred within different sections. The bowls would go onto a stack, probably on a trolley, whilst the next was being stamped, then added to until they are wheeled onto the next process, or going into storage. Packing usually being seperate and the last process nearest the ditribution point.

I would have thought the matching bowls were more likely picked off the stock shelve seperately and it was a coincidence, but I guess different factories, different methods :) ;)

I agree with the probable attribution of Walsh 'Pompeian', but thought that I could add nothing worthwhile to the first reply.

Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »
I have a lot of the H-O catalogues and was aware this type of glass was in there Bernard - unfortunately I am still unable to access them - when I do, I will see if this shape is in one of them.  Thanks for the reminder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand