No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waterford Wedgwood falls into administration  (Read 9196 times)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

Re: Waterford Wedgwood falls into administration
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »
Sad news.........

not necessarily, from a collectors point of view....

As someone else noted, in such hard economic times....

"a like to have, rather than a must have",

so get investing in pharmaceuticals, breweries and the big supermarkets.
People get ill, still drink, and need to eat.
Forget investing in glass, (except to buy a cake-plate (eat) or beer-mug (drink) preferably by Sotola  ;D ;D)

(and being responsible, I suggest that folks primarily invest in knowledge) :-[ :-[

M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:36:59 PM »
Hi,

This is what I wrote on w/f's.com:

"This is indeed sad news, although much of the work sold under their banner has recently been made abroad (Poland and the like), which I thought was particularly sad too, but a sign of the times in order to be competitive.

The names of Stuart and Edinburgh Crystal will also go if Waterford Wedgwood do not find a buyer, since they own them as well. This could be the final death nell to a once great industry - what a disaster  :cry:

I had been given a heads up on this toward the end of November when I was talking to the manager of the Waterford concession at one of the department stores. She also told me that 2-3 weeks prior Royal Worcester and Spode had gone into receivership. That one seemed to slip under the radar  :o

Curently Dartington are holding on and Nazeing seem to be weathering the storm (their practice of niche marketing might just get 'em through)  : :)

Sad days....."

Nigel

PS - Marcus, do please carrying on investing in glass young man - I need da' money ;) :) Seriously, this could well be a time we all look back on with some, dare I say, 'foundness' for the bargains that are bound to be around. (Yes, if we have cash to spare).

BTB you missed out sex. I was listening to the radio before Christmas and in the programme they gave a run down on phone numbers that were 'in' and 'out' - :-[ -  at directory enquiries. Apparently, estate agents had gone down by (from memory) 95%, whilst requests for sex shops numbers had gone up by over 1000%  :o ::)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »
I think Sir Arthur is spot on and management failed to keep up with changing consumer demands. If they could supply what buyers wanted they would still be in business, wouldn't they? They could have opted for the high added value (Lalique, Baccarat) angle, or they could have opted for the high volume (Durobor, Arques) strategy - but neither went through....

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
They were working for their preference-shareholders not consumers. That approach to commerce is largely dead.

But consumers do not help by demanding the cheapest prices for utility goods, above quality. In my opinion it is better for luxury glass to buy from glass studios or privately owned companies anyway (Or from glass dealers for second-hand glass of course  ;) ). Plenty of these still exist - at the moment but are also feeling the pinch of increased energy costs.

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:58:22 PM »
More hopeful news:

Union leader at Waterford believes plant can be saved:
Feb 5th 2009
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0205/1233713219443.html

Thousands to attend Waterford jobs protest:
4th Feb 2009:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0204/1233713217525.html

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »
I have been in touch with Ivana Bacik before, who is the granddaughter of Karel Bacik the founder of modern-day Waterford. A very nice lady and currently an independent Senator in the Irish parliament - is it worth getting in touch with her to see what her thoughts are?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand