No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian not Murano?  (Read 9303 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« on: September 10, 2005, 11:10:41 PM »
Small vase 11.5 high and 8.5 wide, with murrhine faces.

I would appreciate any information about it. It is not marked and looks newish.
 http://tinypic.com/dmbtwl.jpg
Base
http://tinypic.com/dmbu2w.jpg
Cheers Ruth

Offline RAY

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:35:17 PM »
most likley made in china, i have a paperweight in the same style
cheers Ray

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 12:20:54 AM »
Ha, that's a good suggestion! I think you are probably right. It has the same murrhines as one I saw described as Italian but I lost the link. it's quite 'lightweight'. I must research Chinese glass as it appears to be a big industry there now.
Thankyou Ruth

Offline Leni

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 08:18:19 AM »
Quote from: "RAY"
most likley made in china, i have a paperweight in the same style

I'd love to see a pic of your paperweight, Ray!  :shock:

And what makes you say China?  Have you some clues about that - like a matt base, for example?  :twisted:  :lol:  

I wonder about the murrine faces.  They appear to have 'round' eyes, which if it is Chinese would indicate it was made expressly for the export market.  

I believe murrines like this are quite difficult to make, and I'd love to know who is 'giving it a go'!   :shock:   :?

Leni
Leni

Offline RAY

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 01:12:30 PM »
just put it in the paperweight section
cheers Ray

Offline David555

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 07:54:17 PM »
The most famous Murrine vase maker is probably Fratelli Toso - the ones made from 1950s - 70s are amazing  

Sadly this is just too blurred I think for that - I do think many lesser Italian companies copied Fratelli e.g. Bucella Cristalli whose murrines were not as tight as Fratelli - if you look in books you can see Bucella vases and bottles similar to yours - I am not saying it is ... but I don't think it's from China - just because it has no label or is not marked seems to make some say 'Oh Poland' or 'Oh China' and that's not always right Bucella Cristalli and other companies did not sign their wares and labels often fell off

Search for (google) Bucella Cristalli /1960/1970 etc. and any other suggested companies and see what you can find

The Murrine faces look eccentric and Italian to me

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 06:13:29 AM »
No joy so far but I will keep trying. It seems crazy to make such good 'faces' then most of them are blurry.
Ruth

Offline Leni

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 08:50:27 AM »
Quote from: "ruthbradwell"
It seems crazy to make such good 'faces' then most of them are blurry

See my comments on the paperweight.  According to the Juedemanns (Glass Kitchen) the technique is very tricky to get right.  I have some murrine beads made my Lissa Juedemann.  They are perfect, but they cost a LOT!   :shock: (although they are well worth it, IMHO :D )

Do look at www.glasskitchen.com  The vase and paperweight may not be by Chris and Lissa, but if not they are obviously by someone trying the same things.  Might be worth dropping them an email to ask if they know of anyone else doing this sort of work at the moment.

Leni
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 06:48:00 PM »
[Mod: edited Sep 2015 to add back lost images - now links to GlassGallery]

Hi folks,

In connection with another task, I suddenly realised that I had photos of a plate with murrine faces ... and they are the same as in Ruth's vase and Ray's paperweight.

Full plate
Detail of face canes

Please note that the basic glass in the plate is clear, but photographing it directly over a sheet of paper and using flash caused a blue tint!

In Ray's weight, many of the face canes show a "bubbly / blurred" appearance and exactly the same effect can be seen in the part view image of the plate.

The owner of the plate has given the following information: It was purchased in a "St Louis shop" in Paris around 1995 to 1997, where the shop owner said it was from the St Louis factory. Doubts about this were raised and later research pointed towards India. The owner also has beads with very similar faces purchased in Delhi, where the bead shop owner said that some general millefiori canes used in Indian work are "copies" of Murano-style ones.

If the details about the Indian work are correct, it is not surprising that Ray's weight may seem to have "Murano" canes as well as these particular murrine faces.

[I have posted a copy of this reply to the message for Ray's weight in the Paperweights forum.]
KevinH

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 07:50:19 PM »
Does anyone have the big Murrhine book? Because I have one of these cups, and I found the smiley cane attributed to Barovier in the twenties - if memory serves me adequately.  My cup is more like Kevin's plate than the tumbler which looks a bit courser. It was purchased around 1990 ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand