No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213585 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »
It's more than likely they simply want to sell Broadfield House - naturally, this is great timing given the property market slump...
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »
Not sure that they will listen to Canadians though. It may be that given the decision is being made by a local government they will not care (which does not seem to be high on their skill sets) if the foreign people want a glass museum or not.
Carolyn

Please sign, whatever country you live in. Stourbridge needs tourism. Dudley council needs to know that people come to Broadfield House from abroad, stay in local hotels and B & B's, use local restaurants, taxis, amenities and patronise local businesses. If Broadfield House were to close, Dudley will lose that substantial and vital income for local businesses. Tourism income will most likely drop by much more than the £120,000 they are trying to save.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2009, 02:24:04 AM »
............this is great timing given the property market slump...

Not really. The construction sector has been hit badly by the current economic situation and property developers aren't buying land.
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
tried to sign at least six or seven times - was not accepted  >:D

Presuming that you weren't trying to create multiple signatures, I would suggest that you try again with cookies enabled.

Moderator: Edited after an objection
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2009, 03:02:43 AM »
............this is great timing given the property market slump...

Not really. The construction sector has been hit badly by the current economic situation and property developers aren't buying land.

David, I think I noted more than a hint of cynicism/sarcasm/etc in David E's comment!  ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2009, 08:49:55 AM »
... with an extra dollop of irony... ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2009, 09:27:04 AM »
I spoke to a Dudley councillor last night who told me that they are receiving emails from all over the world. He said "if you all keep this going the council will have to listen".

So .. let's show them what we're made of!

We need everyone you know to hear about this disgraceful proposal. Please send out a link to the petition on your email distribution lists and encourage your friends to read this board, and to send emails and letters to the contacts provided earlier.

A big push could turn this crazy decision around.

Graham

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31:59 AM »
Much as I would hate to see Broadfield House close, do we know how many people attend over the course of a year, and how many of these are not local - ie how much does BH really bring to the local economy? Whenever I have dropped in when passing it has been deserted - the only numbers have been for special events.

Having dealt with local government finance as my last job, I doubt that somewhere such as BH is going to be seen as high priority for expenditure compared to schools, education, social services and child protection......etc.  Councils and councillors can get some quite bad press when children are beaten to death because the LA decided to spend money on other services - they may have that at the back of their minds when making decisions on the future of BH.

What we need is a philanthropist who likes glass with at least £5 million going free to buy the place and keep it running - if that is the best solution. Maybe developing the Red Cone site would be better?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
I think Nigel posted earlier that visitors had risen from 11,000 per annum to 15,000. Given that it is open six days a week, this represents about 48 people through the doors a day, on average. Naturally some days are quieter, but I always find a few people buzzing about.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:05 AM »
As the campaign is gaining momentum it would be a great help if everyone could copy emails to Barbara Beadman, the Chairman of the Friends of Broadfield House, as she is talking to councillors and press regularly.

The email address she has asked us to use is

sales at sign plowden-thompson.com

Don't forget to change the red portion to @  ;)

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand