No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 212977 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2009, 12:37:16 AM »

• Barbara Beadman of Plowden & Thompson, current Chairman  :huh: of The Friends.

:-[

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
    • Global Moderator
    • Members
    • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
      • Glass trinket sets
      • Cumbria England
      • My Glass Collection
    « Reply #201 on: February 04, 2009, 03:14:31 AM »
    Frank, the name depends on what is specified in the constitution of the group, not the gender of the person holding the office.  :P
    Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
    ~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
     ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
    • Members
      • http://www.adamaaronson.com
    « Reply #202 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »
    http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/4096868.Council_s_museum_PR_is__laughable_/

' Council's museum PR is "laughable" '   -click on the link to read the article!
    Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
    For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
    https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
    Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
    • Members
      • Glass history
      • Europe
      • Gateway
    « Reply #203 on: February 04, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »
    The Stourbridge News also has a poll running, readers can vote there too to help the local press gauge interest! Link at end of article that Adam has just posted above.

Offline flyboy90

• Members
    « Reply #204 on: February 04, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »
    "Meanwhile, Never Flinch, Never Weary, Never Despair."
    Winston Churchill, Hansard, 1 March 1955

Offline Frank

• Author
    • Members
      • Glass history
      • Europe
      • Gateway
    « Reply #205 on: February 04, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »
    The Stourbridge News also has a poll running, readers can vote there too to help the local press gauge interest! Link at end of article that Adam has just posted above.

When I voted yesterday, it stood at Yes 4% No 96% seems that the yes's have grown a bit  :-\ Today:

Do you think the council should close Broadfield House?

Yes : 5%

No: 95%

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
      • Scotland, Europe.
    Broadfield House Museum: Petition to No. 10 for support against closure
    « Reply #206 on: February 05, 2009, 10:23:06 AM »
    I see in the comments from the supporters/signatories that a second petition to Downing Street asking for intervention has been created. :hiclp:

The link to sign up is here.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/savebroadfield/
    Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline yelooc

• Members
    « Reply #207 on: February 05, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »
    Letter From Ian Pearson MP to Cllr David Caunt
    04 February 2009

Dear David

BROADFIELD HOUSE GLASS MUSEUM

I am writing formally to express my concerns over reports in the press that the Council is proposing to close Broadfield House Glass Museum and move the collections and research resource to the Red House Cone site.

As chair of the Red House Cone Trust I helped to raise £1.7million for its refurbishment and it is a superb facility.  I totally fail to see however that it could possibly house the internationally renowned glass collections that are currently at Broadfield House in its current buildings.

I have been approached by a number of Friends of Broadfield House who say they have not been consulted on this, nor has any detailed financial or practical evaluation been undertaken.  They are I believe taking a very constructive approach nonetheless, and tell me that they would support a move if it were to be an enhancement and improvement on what is currently on offer at Broadfield House. I fully support this view.  We have a proud glass heritage and currently curate some of the finest pieces to be found anywhere in the world.  We should be looking to do more to show it off, not cram it away somewhere mostly out of sight.

I think as an immediate first step the Council should assure the current staff at Broadfield House that their jobs are secure.  Following that they should, in examining the feasibility of options to enhance and improve the current offer, work closely with the Friends, The Glass Association and the Glass Circle.  I would, of course, be happy to lend my support in this matter as I did previously with the Red House Cone.

Yours sincerely

IAN PEARSON
    cc Cllr David Sparks
    cc Cllr Dave Tyler

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
    • Members
      • http://www.adamaaronson.com
    « Reply #208 on: February 05, 2009, 12:18:01 PM »
    Online petition now stands at 981 and we have 20 signatures on the paper version here, so we are now into four figures.
    1001 total.

How soon can we get to 10001?

:)
    Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
    For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
    https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
    Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline flyboy90

• Members
    « Reply #209 on: February 05, 2009, 02:04:48 PM »
    Hello Adam,
    You are quite right, The petition is good but we really need more numbers.
    How can we go about this? Apart from word of mouth.
    I know spamming isnt the best option but If everyone sends the link to 50 people on email, Letter or any other methods, Just 1 reply from all those is better than none!

Cheers, Nathan Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand