No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213007 times)

Offline yelooc

• Members
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
The Friends of Broadfield House Glass Museum
5th February 2008, 1.50p.m.

Dear Friends of our museum and glass collection.

I have just spoken to the Deputy Director of the Urban Environment (Dudley MBC) who has had a meeting with the Staff at Broadfield. The outcome is positive and in line with the letters and emails Cllr. Shakespeare has sent out.

A feasibility study will be commencing which will be thorough, robust, and involve external museum consultants. Dudley Council is trying to plan for the long term. They will be developing a long term plan for the Red House site.

Long term decisions will be based upon the findings of the feasibility study and unless another site can duplicate and enhance the offering of Broadfield no long term decision to close Broadfield will be taken.

Thank you to everyone who has pursued this cause.  Everyone is a winner.

Yours sincerely

Barbara P. Beadman
Chairman of The Friends of Broadfield House Glass Museum

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
This is a good step forward Graham, and thanks to Barbara for the update.

I do think we need to be aware that until the feasibility study is done and the whole decision making process is complete and the collection safe either in BH or in a new location with enhanced facilities, that we aren't actually winners.

Dudley's Supplementary Planning Documents for the Glass Quarter are now online, the process takes time to resolve, but input into that planning process is essential if the outcome we all want to see is to be achieved. If no-one responds to the SPD or subsequent consultations then Dudley MBC will do as they please and we'll not be winners, so please do take the time to respond to any planning or other consultation documents issued by the council.

Dudley MBC now has the opportunity to use some imagination, be innovative, and, with the support of the glass community and politicians at UK and EU level, create a world-class museum and archive facility for the collection currently located at Broadfield House. Let's make sure that Dudley MBC know they have our support for such a facility. Onwards and upwards as the saying goes!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »
Hello Adam,
You are quite right, The petition is good but we really need more numbers.
How can we go about this? Apart from word of mouth.
I know spamming isnt the best option but If everyone sends the link to 50 people on email, Letter or any other methods, Just 1 reply from all those is better than none!

Cheers, Nathan Smith

I agree, Nathan.

Even though the council seems to be reacting favourably, anything can happen. Until we have an irrevocable guarantee in writing from the Council that the museum will remain open with the existing staff levels maintained, I think the campaign should continue and we should maintain the momentum.
 :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »
Graham et al — I notice that your yellow campaign banner is privately hosted.   Please would you make available on the Glass Association website or elsewhere a similar banner to which we can all link from our websites, emails, and discussions on other forums.

I've several communications on the subject of Broadfield House going out later today, so I would appreciate a fairly speedy response.

Thanks in advance,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

Has everybody seen that there is another petition to Downing Street being organised? (I saw you have Anne!).

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/savebroadfield/

I also went to a link somewhere in connection (I think it was aa put the link to Dudley council) with this to look at some pate-de-verre, and I was invited to comment on their website after viewing the pieces.

I did, politely, but in no uncertain terms, ask for Broadfield House Glass Museum to be saved.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »
Sue, I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, as I know you have been campaigning very hard on this, but I would very much advise against having two petitions.

The main petition is doing very well and I think a second petition will confuse the issue. Also if you look on the main petition, you will see that there are international signatories from around 30 different countries, whereas the other one only accepts UK signatures.

Particularly now that the campaign is starting to reach people who may be interested in preserving our cultural heritage but may not be completely nuts about glass, to ask them to sign more than one petition may deter them from signing either. We need to avoid the yawn factor.

So I would suggest that we don't dilute the support and focus it on maintaining the excellent momentum on the main petition.
 :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »
Yes Sue,

I saw your previous post as well.

How is that petition being promoted? If it doesn't get a good response then it may well be detrimental to the cause.

I, (and a number of other campaigners), am concerned that the effort to save Broadfield House and its collections and archive is being dissapated - however well meaning the intention behind it  :).

(Note: Adam posted whilst I was writing this).

Nigel

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »
 :spls:
Fine.
I merely saw that the person who started it had put it in their "comments" on the main petition - I have been reading and following the main one, as well as spreading it as far as I can amongst friends and other forums I'm on. I didn't think it was a bad idea, so passed it on here.

Please, don't shoot the messenger! :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »
How could anyone shoot such a delightful messenger!  ;)

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »
The Friends of Broadfield House Glass Museum
5th February 2008, 1.50p.m.

Dear Friends of our museum and glass collection.

I have just spoken to the Deputy Director of the Urban Environment (Dudley MBC) who has had a meeting with the Staff at Broadfield. The outcome is positive and in line with the letters and emails Cllr. Shakespeare has sent out.

A feasibility study will be commencing which will be thorough, robust, and involve external museum consultants. Dudley Council is trying to plan for the long term. They will be developing a long term plan for the Red House site.

Long term decisions will be based upon the findings of the feasibility study and unless another site can duplicate and enhance the offering of Broadfield no long term decision to close Broadfield will be taken.

Thank you to everyone who has pursued this cause.  Everyone is a winner.

Yours sincerely

Barbara P. Beadman
Chairman of The Friends of Broadfield House Glass Museum

Hello Graham and the other Members of the forum,
I have read the statement made by Barbara, I think its to wooly and too loose. A feasibility study will be commencing, but when will it commence?
If they are planning a long term plan for redhouse cone, Is this seperate from the feasibility study or are they just planning ahead? I dont think this battle is over at all!!! We should continue to campaign untill It is set in stone, and in full view of the public eye! Thats the very least we can do! I feel that the last paragraph is indicating that the friends have won the battle and they can stand down. But this is deffinatley not the case!

Cheers Nathan!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand