No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213028 times)

Offline yelooc

• Members
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
Press Release From Dudley Council, Received Today

"Given the level of public interest regarding the future of the Glass Museum at Broadfield House it is important to clearly state the Council’s current position on this issue. Particularly in view of recent discussions at the Council’s Select Committee on Regeneration and Culture and the subsequent press coverage.

The current position is, that the Council is exploring the feasibility of amalgamating its two glass heritage facilities, thereby creating a single prestige site with enhanced facilities.  Clearly the practicalities of doing this, the costs involved and timescales needed to bring such a transformation in service provision have yet to be fully assessed. These issues will be the subjects of a comprehensive feasibility study.

The Cabinet Member for Environment and Culture has publicly stated that no decision on the future of the Glass Museum at Broadfield House will be taken until the results of the feasibility study are known and has further stated that she would not be party to any decision that would lead to the loss or downgrading of the collections/exhibitions currently housed at Broadfield House.

I sincerely hope that the above clarification is sufficient to ease concerns that have been aired as regards the Council’s intentions and aspirations for its glass heritage."

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »
Extract from the petition:

No 1200 Lee Benson:

"I support the petition, it would be a disgrace to ruin our history of the glass world by closing down Broadfield House.
The Red Cone should be treated as a separate entity, the moral question of the house and its contents has to be kept.
Why not put an external glass lift, that way disabled access will be achieved,,
now that didn't cost too much money of feasability studies, did it?"
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:53 PM »
Extract from the petition no 1215
Anne Lutyens-Humfrey:

"Broadfield House has world-class collections that should be promoted vigorously; the staff are helpful, the studio kiln is fascinating and the Festival of Glass a great event. Don't close this unless to move to a larger site with better & bigger displays, storage, library, archive, public transport: that will cost millions. Do please invest in the great asset you already have: that will bring me back."

(Anne Lutyens-Humfrey is the Keeper of Art at Chelmsford Museums)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »
It's interesting to see the very positive feedback from other museum professionals who clearly appreciate and value the existing museum at Broadfield House. Surely, as they know what they are talking about, such appreciation by their peers should be taken on board by Dudley MBC!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »
:)
I take it, Adam, that it was you who contacted Ian Jones? :thup:
What a lovely thing for him to do, actually taking the time to visit, and send such a strong and authoritative report - absolutely brilliant, both of you. :ghug:

All Ian's work - I'm just the messenger , but many thanks for your kind words, Sue, which I will pass on to Ian :)

Ian Jones has also written to Councillor Caunt, and given me permission to reproduce his letter below:

To: cllr.david.cauntatsigndudley.gov.uk
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:12 AM
Subject: Broadfield House

Dear Councillor Caunt

I am e mailing you about what is now a pretty well-worn topic - the possible move of Broadfield House Glass Museum to the Red Cone site.   I sent a long e mail to Councillor Shakespeare and it would not be fair to subject you to another long one.  All I will say is that, in my view, the Museum should stay where it is rather then move to an inferior site.    The Red Cone site is too small to accommodate both a world class museum and what is already there now.   Apart from other deficiencies, the site is difficult to access physically - certainly from the main road.  I have tried.

I  appreciate I am not a Dudley Councillor who has difficult financial decisions to make and I am sure that the Councillors who have been discussing the possible move have the best of intentions.  However, could I just make two comments?  Firstly, the Museum has an international reputation and the move to a poor site, to the detriment of the collection would provoke an international reaction and unwelcome publicity for the Council.  Secondly, feasibility studies are a quick, but not painless, way of relieving Councils of their money, to no worthwhile end.  I know, I have, to my shame, done them.

I could also add that as a visitor attraction the Red Cone is a very limited one - when I was there a couple of weeks ago videos were not working or were poor and one learned little about glass.  The Cone itself is marvellous, but it is a wasted asset.  It would be better to spend a few pounds on improving the Red Cone rather than throwing it away on a feasibility study.

My only qualification for writing to you is that I am the secretary of an international museums committee, part of the UNESCO set up, and people who are concerned about the future of the Museum have been in touch with me.   I went to have a look myself, and I share their concerns.

To be honest, the proposal is not worth the candle. 

Yours sincerely

Ian Jones

2 Kelvedon Road
London SW6 5BW
Tel: +44 (0)20 7731 6012
Ian.Jones67atsignvirgin.net

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »

Hello Members!
There have been 2 more articles in the Stourbridge Newspaper today February 12th 2009

I have tried to attach them to this post but the files are too big. They have not been posted on the Stourbridge News website just yet, But Im sure they will be later tonight or tomorrow!

After you read these you will see that the Stourbridge News yet again is giving us 100% support where as the Express and Star and The Stourbridge Chronicle with the bigger circulation, unfortunately seems to have been gagged!

The Stourbridge News has given contact details for the editor who has stated "What’s your view on this saga?" asking you to email him at paul.walkerATmidlands.newsquest.co.uk Lets give this Newspaper as much information as we have ourselves so that they can really give us a good spread!

Moderator: email changed to prevent spambot harvesting. Please change AT to @ to make it work.

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2009, 10:29:36 PM »
Hello All Again!
Consider this......
I have been reading all the views that people have left along side their signatures on the main Glass Association petition on the go petition website.

All these viewpoints should be brought to attention to the council, councillors and officers involved in the closure of the Museum!

I know these can be printed off, to allow us to have hard copies of them all!
How about we print them all off and send them to the above people, and get them to read the views of thousands of signatures!

Cheers!

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2009, 12:07:20 AM »
Hello Flyboy,

As far as I am aware, the plan is for terrestial petition and the online petition to be collected, collated and handed to the council - probably in time for the council meeting on 2 March 2009. However, that date has to be agreed with concerned parties  ;) :)

Nigel

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »
I know these can be printed off, to allow us to have hard copies of them all!
How about we print them all off and send them to the above people, and get them to read the views of thousands of signatures!

As Nigel has pointed out, the Glass Association will present a hard copy of the online petition to Dudley Council (along with the accompanying comments).
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
Just in case people haven't noticed it, alongside the petition (on the right hand side) there is a small button which says SHARE. If you mouseover that a small dropdown menu appears which lets you share the petition on social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and MySpace, or via sites such as Stumbleupon and Digg.It, or add a link to blogs and emails. All these options can be used to raise the profile of the campaign to spread the news and elicit support for the retention of the Museum.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand