No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213028 times)

Offline flyboy90

• Members
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2009, 07:38:45 PM »
Will the Express And Star get its act together?
The article printed in the Chronicle 12/02/2009 (Same group as Express and Star) is a mishmash of all the errors printed by them in the previous edition of the Express and Star!

Has the Express and Star been shamed into printing somthing because of the 100% support for the campaign from the Stourbridge News? If so they should not bother printing this rubbish!

See page 20 of the Chronicle, I am not able to upload this becaue of the file size and the forum restrictions on file size to attachements. Sorry!

Try looking online! or emailing them with your own story!
dudleychronsATexpressandstar.co.uk

Mod: change AT to @ to make the email address work.

Cheers! Keep it up everyone!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline simon bruntnell

• Members
  • Simon Bruntnell Freelance Photographer
    • United Kingdom
    • www.northlightphotography.co.uk
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »
Hello all, I driving to Manchester last Wednesday night about 5:00pm to be called by AA who asked me If I could go to the meeting at Dudley Councils offices regarding BHM for 7:30pm has no one was going. So is it true not one person turned up??
Simon Bruntnell (photographer to the Poor & Infamous)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
Hello all, I driving to Manchester last Wednesday night about 5:00pm to be called by AA who asked me If I could go to the meeting at Dudley Councils offices regarding BHM for 7:30pm has no one was going. So is it true not one person turned up??

Actually I think it was probably Nigel  who called you but could equally have been me. :)

I'd be interested to learn what happened if anybody was able to attend.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline simon bruntnell

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »
Not a person I was informed. I bet Dudley council thought their  boat had come in, I imagined the angry villagers would have been beating the castle doors with fire torches.  To be truthful
there no one really talking about it around here on ground level. The general public are more concerned about jobs and pensions etc. And the amount of people I mention it to and they reply
'Broadfield what museum' is quite shocking. Well lets put into contexts a little this is a true story; Local Stourbridge person is having look around the Red House cone. A member of staff is walking around
and is stopped by the local person " I saw something about a big glass museum moving here then, on the telly" "Yes" replied the member of staff "Well I suppose you are going to have to knock this all down then, to get it all in" looking at the cone.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »
I'd have expected someone from the Friends to have attended.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline simon bruntnell

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »
So would I Anne. Lets hope I am proved wrong and we have a better show come March.

Offline Ettiene

• Members
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »
Hi Y'all,

just a quick note to say that the Council meeting didn't have Broadfield House on the agenda and it wasn't mentioned at all. There is a Friends meeting on Wednesday next week and if there is any news from the council, or replies to the outstanding letters/questions they will let us know.

Ettiene

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2009, 07:08:08 PM »
This letter and a downloadable FAQ document appeared on the Dudley website today:

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/museums--galleries/glass-museum/broadfield-house-feasibility-study

Broadfield House feasibility study

Dear reader

Thank you for taking the time to visit this site about plans for the future development of our museums’ service and most specifically Broadfield House Glass Museum.

There has been a lot of confusion about the future of the glass museum and I hope that I can now give some clarity to the situation.

The council fully recognises the importance of the collection housed at Broadfield and it is not our intention to either downgrade or move the collection out of the borough.  Rather our aspiration is to develop an enhanced museum service by creating an improved visitor attraction based in the heart of the historic glass quarter.

The feasibility study will commence in the coming weeks and we have set up a dedicated section here on this website to enable you to keep up to date with the progress of the feasibility study. We will update the questions and answers’ section (below) in line with work being undertaken and there is also an email facility (e-mail Broadfield House) should you require any additional information which you cannot find on the site.

Attached below is a set of frequently asked questions for your information and I look forward to sharing the findings of the study with you shortly.

Yours sincerely

John Millar
Director of the urban environment

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »
The council fully recognises the importance of the collection housed at Broadfield and it is not our intention to either downgrade or move the collection out of the borough.
But that does not mean that they won't sell parts of the collection - after all, the council could claim that "trimming" the collection would result in an "upgrade" in an overall "improved museums experience"

And as for FAQs, there are so often used as a means to make things sound good but to conveniently hide important questions that people really have asked - such as, "why were some staff at Broadfield House Glass Museum told they would be losing thier jobs?"
KevinH

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »
Is there anybody who can provide me with a word or text version of the obfuscatory FAQ pdf?  I would prefer not to have to type the whole thing out..... >:(
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand