No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 212996 times)

Offline RoynMargaret

• Members
    • Decorative  Collectables
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
POsitive action may be having some effect

http://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/7050.aspx
We have changed our trading style and name to Decorative Collectables. Our prime glass activities may now be seen here:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Decorative-Collectables-UK?_rdc=1

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2009, 09:37:44 PM »
Broadfield House
Frequently asked questions

1. Is Broadfield House closing?
No decision has been taken to close Broadfield House and there will be no decision before the outcomes and recommendations of a robust feasibility study has been completed. This study will include consideration of security issues, display facilities, accessibility to the public and professionals, other on site facilities and overall cost effectiveness. The study will also involve consultation with the glass industry and local people with the intention of reporting findings and recommendations to the council’s cabinet in October 2009.

2. What is the council’s vision for displaying its glass collection and heritage in the future?
The council’s aspiration is to enhance our museums’ service, to create an excellent visitor experience that is appropriate to our renowned glass collections. A robust and professional study will seek to test the feasibility of relocating glass collections from Broadfield House and elsewhere to the Red House Glass Works Museum, known locally as the Red House Glass Cone. Currently Red House attracts in the region of 22,000 more visitors a year than visit Broadfield House therefore our aspiration is to capitalise on these visitor numbers to increase access to these wonderful collections to as many visitors as possible. The historic cone at Red House combined with on site glass blowing demonstrations linking through to the superb collections of finished glass should bring to life the art of glass making for visitors of all ages and in turn increase awareness of a significant part of the areas heritage.

3. What will happen at full council on March 2 2009?
At its meeting on March 2 full council will be asked to approve the budget. This includes projected spending over the next three years as part of the medium term financial strategy. This strategy does include an estimated saving of £120,000 in the museum’s service. Full council’s decisions on the budget and the medium term financial strategy will not supersede or influence the decision on Broadfield House as no decision has been taken to close Broadfield House nor will there be a decision before the outcomes and recommendations of a robust feasibility study has been completed. If the feasibility study concluded that it will not be possible to deliver the council’s aspiration one for an enhanced facility at the Red House Glass Works Museum site and that Broadfield should not close the council would then need to decide, as part of the medium term financial planning process, whether to seek that level of estimated saving from elsewhere within the total council revenue budget.

4. What are the timescales for the feasibility study?
Identification and appointment of museum accredited consultants through to undertaking and completion of the study leading to final reporting is estimated to run from mid February 2009 to October 2009. The study’s recommendations will not be limited to the relocation of the collections and will be used to inform the future development of the Red House Glass Works Museum in years to come and the council’s management and display of the collections more generally. The study outcomes will also provide validated feasibility data essential for any future lottery or other external bids. If the feasibility study met the key criteria for the relocation of the glass collections there would also be a sizeable capital receipt from the reuse or sale of Broadfield House that could be partly earmarked to reinvest in Red House or used towards match funding for external grants.

5. What are the visitor figures for Broadfield?
In 2007/08 total visitor figures were 12,000.

6. What are the visitor figures for Red House Glass Works Museum?
In 2007/08 the total visitor figures were approximately 34,000.

7. What will happen to staff at Broadfield House if glass collections are relocated?
If the feasibility study criteria is met and a formal council decision made staff would be redeployed either at Red House Glass Works Museum or other locations within the council as part of the council’s redeployment policy. If criteria are not met staff would stay at Broadfield House or at other locations within the terms of their respective current terms of employment contract.

8. Will there be any public consultation?
Public consultation will be an integral part of the feasibility study and a consultation programme will be published by the consultants.

9. Have consultants been appointed to carry out the feasibility study?
The intention is to appoint accredited consultants by early April 2009 with the aim of final reports and recommendations being made to the council (cabinet) in October 2009.

10. Where would money come from to improve facilities at the Red House Glass Works Museum?
Any capital investment that may be required as a result of the feasibility study would be sought from external funding or from part of any capital receipt that may accrue from the potential sale of Broadfield House.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2009, 09:49:56 PM »
Come back Guy Fawkes your country needs you.

Offline Ettiene

• Members
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2009, 09:05:49 AM »
Adam,

emailed you a word document of the FAQs. Noticed that Cone visitor figures have gone up to 34,000.

Ettiene

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2009, 01:47:39 PM »
Extract from the Online petition:

No 1736

"I am Education Programs Mgr. at Corning Museum of Glass. I learned a great deal by studying the collections at Broadfield House over the course of several years. The local council doesn't recognize the unique position the museum holds as a resource & destination for glass scholars from around the world. By eliminating/moving the collection, council would be denying the significance of generations who created & preserved the greatest local assets. Even the building is an architectural landmark."

Mary Mills
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
I am indebted to a friend who is a political analyst, well used to interpreting bureaucratic doublespeak, for providing the succinct translation of Dudley's FAQs that is posted below. His interpretation is shown in red and in brackets.

1. Is Broadfield House closing?
No decision has been taken to close Broadfield House and there will be no decision before the outcomes and recommendations of a robust feasibility study has been completed. This study will include consideration of security issues, display facilities, accessibility to the public and professionals, other on site facilities and overall cost effectiveness. The study will also involve consultation with the glass industry and local people with the intention of reporting findings and recommendations to the council’s cabinet in October 2009.  (Because of all the flak we have upped the budget for this feasibility study to ensure our closure case becomes “bullet proof”.)

2. What is the council’s vision for displaying its glass collection and heritage in the future?
The council’s aspiration is to enhance our museums’ service, to create an excellent visitor experience that is appropriate to our renowned glass collections. A robust and professional study will seek to test the feasibility of relocating glass collections from Broadfield House and elsewhere to the Red House Glass Works Museum, known locally as the Red House Glass Cone. Currently Red House attracts in the region of 22,000 more visitors a year than visit Broadfield House therefore our aspiration is to capitalise on these visitor numbers to increase access to these wonderful collections to as many visitors as possible. The historic cone at Red House combined with on site glass blowing demonstrations linking through to the superb collections of finished glass should bring to life the art of glass making for visitors of all ages and in turn increase awareness of a significant part of the areas heritage.  (Broadfield House  = History.  Red House = The Future)

3. What will happen at full council on March 2 2009?
At its meeting on March 2 full council will be asked to approve the budget. This includes projected spending over the next three years as part of the medium term financial strategy. This strategy does include an estimated saving of £120,000 in the museum’s service. Full council’s decisions on the budget and the medium term financial strategy will not supersede or influence the decision on Broadfield House as no decision has been taken to close Broadfield House nor will there be a decision before the outcomes and recommendations of a robust feasibility study has been completed. If the feasibility study concluded that it will not be possible to deliver the council’s aspiration one for an enhanced facility at the Red House Glass Works Museum site and that Broadfield should not close the council would then need to decide, as part of the medium term financial planning process, whether to seek that level of estimated saving from elsewhere within the total council revenue budget.  (Have you got any bright ideas about how else we could save £120,000?)

4. What are the timescales for the feasibility study?
Identification and appointment of museum accredited consultants through to undertaking and completion of the study leading to final reporting is estimated to run from mid February 2009 to October 2009. The study’s recommendations will not be limited to the relocation of the collections and will be used to inform the future development of the Red House Glass Works Museum in years to come and the council’s management and display of the collections more generally. The study outcomes will also provide validated feasibility data essential for any future lottery or other external bids. If the feasibility study met the key criteria for the relocation of the glass collections there would also be a sizeable capital receipt from the reuse or sale of Broadfield House that could be partly earmarked to reinvest in Red House or used towards match funding for external grants. (We are already in talks with developers!)

5. What are the visitor figures for Broadfield?
In 2007/08 total visitor figures were 12,000.  (Hardly any one ever comes to Broadfield and we are already starting to play down its connection with glass!)

6. What are the visitor figures for Red House Glass Works Museum?
In 2007/08 the total visitor figures were approximately 34,000. (The Red House is already the pre-ordained glass centre for the area and people love it.)

7. What will happen to staff at Broadfield House if glass collections are relocated?
If the feasibility study criteria is met and a formal council decision made staff would be redeployed either at Red House Glass Works Museum or other locations within the council as part of the council’s redeployment policy. If criteria are not met staff would stay at Broadfield House or at other locations within the terms of their respective current terms of employment contract. (We have already made plans to redeploy all the Broadfield House staff or else make them redundant)

8. Will there be any public consultation?
Public consultation will be an integral part of the feasibility study and a consultation programme will be published by the consultants.  (We will let locals walk round an expensive arrangement of display boards.  Questionnaires will be distributed before we work out the final details of our implementation plan)

9. Have consultants been appointed to carry out the feasibility study?
The intention is to appoint accredited consultants by early April 2009 with the aim of final reports and recommendations being made to the council (cabinet) in October 2009 (Yes).

10. Where would money come from to improve facilities at the Red House Glass Works Museum?
Any capital investment that may be required as a result of the feasibility study would be sought from external funding or from part of any capital receipt that may accrue from the potential sale of Broadfield House. (We have already worked how to spend the proceeds from the sale of Broadfield House)

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2009, 11:16:28 PM »

Dudley’s FAQ’s state:

"5. What are the visitor figures for Broadfield?
In 2007/08 total visitor figures were 12,000." Actual usage figures were 27,659

"6. What are the visitor figures for Red House Glass Works Museum?
In 2007/08 the total visitor figures were approximately 34,000." Actual usage figures were 34,111

NB Red House Glass Cone, now referred to by Dudley as Red House Glass Works Museum, is open for 42 hrs per week whereas Broadfield House is open for 24 hrs per week. The Cone receives 10.3 visitors per hour while Broadfield House achieves 9.8 visitors per hour.

Either someone at Dudley is being very economical with the truth or they just can't count!

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »
Quis  custodiet ipsos custodes.

Offline Patrick

• Members
Midlands Today............... Broadfield House.
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »
Hi,
Short piece about half way through today's show...........  http://www.bbc.co.uk/midlandstoday/latest_stories/

Regards, Patrick.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: Midlands Today............... Broadfield House.
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2009, 09:26:24 PM »
The superb Eva Englund Graal bowl featured in the BBC clip came from the exhibition at Coleridge of Highgate in 1980. I've always thought that it was one of her best ever pieces - another is in the V&A and a third was acquired by Kelvingrove.

My sister and I, together with our late mother, put on that exhibition and we were thrilled that Charles Hajdamach was able to acquire this piece for the museum, because had he not done so it could easily have been purchased by a private collector, as were most of the pieces in the show. Instead it has given joy and pleasure to thousands of people over the past 29 years.

It takes years for an arboretum to mature and only minutes to chop it down.

If you haven't yet signed the petition, please do so here http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/broadfield-house-glass-museum.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand